Opinions Wanted On Install Pictures

Rob2020

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Greetings all, the attached pictures represent my proposed install of a Dahua (Andy OEM) and Dahua Side Mount. The pine board is just temporary to assist in determining the mounting location, the attached is very close to the final location. The cable comes out of the mount on the side towards the street, ideally it would come out the opposite side towards the back of the garage.

Here is my question; I am trying to determine what to do with the excess cabling, run it in conduit and paint it? Staple it down and paint it? Is there an issue with damaging the cable if I staple it down? Cable Raceway of some sort? Other options to consider??? The red paint on the pictures represents the general area where the cable would go through the wall, I have no attic access and drilling through at the red marks puts me into a finished garage right below the ceiling. The vent holes go into the attic, again, no access without cutting a hole in the finished sheetrock ceiling. The eaves are about 9'+ high so there is no easy access from below and I recognize this is higher than ideal but this is a balancing act between happy wife and surveillance.

Thank you for your input.

Attachments

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
I would strap and paint it. If you keep it neatly tucked up and out of sight for the most part, no one will ever notice it. use these zip ties

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Unless you have a stapler designed specifically for low voltage wiring I'd avoid staples. Stick-on wire duct is cheap, easy to work with and can be painted to match. This one is for baseboard use but they also have rectangular stuff as well.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
A workaround for screws is to use 3M automotive trim tape. That stuff holds like the devil and seems pretty impervious to heat/drying problems. Can be bought at most automotive supply stores.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I have similar construction where some of my cams are mounted. I can't completely judge the angle of the roof, but likely that you're going to end up wanting to get the cam much lower and out as far as you can from where you have it in your second picture. That's going to limit your view a lot and you'll get IR reflection back at the cam. You want the cam well below and clear of the fascia board in front of it.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Here is my question; I am trying to determine what to do with the excess cabling, run it in conduit and paint it? Staple it down and paint it? Is there an issue with damaging the cable if I staple it down? Cable Raceway of some sort? Other options to consider??? The red paint on the pictures represents the general area where the cable would go through the wall, I have no attic access and drilling through at the red marks puts me into a finished garage right below the ceiling. The vent holes go into the attic, again, no access without cutting a hole in the finished sheetrock ceiling. The eaves are about 9'+ high so there is no easy access from below and I recognize this is higher than ideal but this is a balancing act between happy wife and surveillance.

Thank you for your input.
HI @Rob2020

1) DO NOT staple cat5e/6 down.. you can break the wires.
2) Painting the cat6 cable to match the trim is good.
3) Normally I stuff some excess cable back into the attic space.
4) I use cable /coax clips to secure the cat6 to the wood and then paint the cable to match the trim.
5) test your locations, especially at night, especially if using the IR leds or other leds

Remember test with friend wearing a hoodie and cap ( prepandemic garb ) acting as a prowler.
See if you can get a decent angle on a facial ID image...

Last edited: