OPINIONS WANTED! What do you think of this package?

User Name

n3wb
Reaction score
I joined this group yesterday and based on some reponses (THANKS to those that did) I put together a "package" that I will be submitting for a school grant. The immediate goal is six fixed cameras. I wanted a system that would also have the possibility of growth to a maximum of 20 cameras in the future. The whole "system" will be installed by volunteers.

I REALLY am a newbie to all this and would appreciate any input. I certainly don't want to be the guy that "blew the grant!"

Dell Computer $1,115
OptiPlex 7050 MT- OptiPlex 7050 MT CTO
Processor - Intel® Core™ i7-7700 (QC/8MB/8T/3.6GHz/65W);
Operating System(s) - Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Memory - 8GB 1x8GB 2400MHz DDR4 Memory
Hard Drive - M.2 128GB SATA Class 20 SSD
Video Card - Intel® Integrated Graphics
CD ROM/DVD ROM - 8x DVD+/-RW 9.5mm Optical Disk Drive
Chassis Options - OptiPlex 7050 Tower with 240W
Keyboard - Dell KB216 Wired Keyboard English Black
Mouse - Dell MS116 Wired Mouse Black
Systems Management - Intel® vPro Technology Enabled
Hard Drive Cables and Brackets - No Hard Drive Caddy
Hard Drive - $220
WD Purple 6TB Surveillance Hard Disk Drive
Display - $200
LG 32MA70HY-P 32-Inch Full HD IPS Monitor with Display Port and HDMI Inputs
Software - $60
Blue Iris – Video Security and webcam software
Apps - $40
Blue Iris – Mobile App license – 4 units
UPS - $130
CyberPower CP1000PFCLCD PFC Sinewave UPS System, 1000VA/600W, 10 Outlets, AVR, Mini-Tower
Cameras - $460
6 - Dahua Ip Camera IPC-HFW1320S 3Mp POE Mini IR Bullet 30m ONVIF 3.6mm
POE Switch - $95
BV-Tech 8 Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch – 130W – 802.3at – POE-SW800G
CAT5e Cable - $200
2000 feet Cat5e network cable
Connectors - $30
Platinum Tools 100010C EZ-RJ45 Cat 6+ Connectors, Clamshell, 50-Pieces
TOTAL = $2,550

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You are being hosed on the pc...that dell should be 500 dollars, buy your own 256 ssd for 70 bux. see dell outlet
you dont need a 32 inch display for this...
take the money saved and upgrade the most important part of this package. Get the fixed or varifocal dahua starlight turret 100-170...they are miles ahead of the 3mp bullets.
you can buy an 8 port managed switch for the price you are paying for unmanged and from an well known brand. https://www.amazon.com/8-Port-Gigabit-Managed-Fanless-GS1900-8HP/dp/B00GU1KULM/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1526773473&sr=8-8&keywords=8+port+managed+poe+switch

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

User Name

n3wb
Reaction score
You are being hosed on the pc...that dell should be 500 dollars, buy your own 256 ssd for 70 bux. see dell outlet
you dont need a 32 inch display for this...
take the money saved and upgrade the most important part of this package. Get the fixed or varifocal dahua starlight turret 100-170...they are miles ahead of the 3mp bullets.
you can buy an 8 port managed switch for the price you are paying for unmanged and from an well known brand. https://www.amazon.com/8-Port-Gigabit-Managed-Fanless-GS1900-8HP/dp/B00GU1KULM/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1526773473&sr=8-8&keywords=8+port+managed+poe+switch
@fenderman Agreed on the managed port. My bad - I remember reading that now and grabbed the wrong one! I also agree that the computer from Dell is high but I have to specify new equipment and worse case scenario on price. Not seeing anything like the one I choose in the Outlet Store right now.

Cameras are the real difficult thing to figure out right now for me. I don't know what "varifocal" means. Is that zoom? If so, the sytem won't be managed to the point where staff will be zooming or panning at all. That is why I'm looking at fixed. Can you suggest a model number for me? I would guess the school would eventually buy from an Amazon, Best Buy, etc. Any ebay or Aliexpress is out of the game. Thanks.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Start reading the cliff notes...andy from empire has an Amazon store... varifocal is used only at the time of install

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I joined this group yesterday and based on some reponses (THANKS to those that did) I put together a "package" that I will be submitting for a school grant. The immediate goal is six fixed cameras. I wanted a system that would also have the possibility of growth to a maximum of 20 cameras in the future. The whole "system" will be installed by volunteers.

I REALLY am a newbie to all this and would appreciate any input. I certainly don't want to be the guy that "blew the grant!"

Dell Computer $1,115
OptiPlex 7050 MT- OptiPlex 7050 MT CTO
Processor - Intel® Core™ i7-7700 (QC/8MB/8T/3.6GHz/65W);
Operating System(s) - Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Memory - 8GB 1x8GB 2400MHz DDR4 Memory
Hard Drive - M.2 128GB SATA Class 20 SSD
Video Card - Intel® Integrated Graphics
CD ROM/DVD ROM - 8x DVD+/-RW 9.5mm Optical Disk Drive
Chassis Options - OptiPlex 7050 Tower with 240W
Keyboard - Dell KB216 Wired Keyboard English Black
Mouse - Dell MS116 Wired Mouse Black
Systems Management - Intel® vPro Technology Enabled
Hard Drive Cables and Brackets - No Hard Drive Caddy
Hard Drive - $220
WD Purple 6TB Surveillance Hard Disk Drive
Display - $200
LG 32MA70HY-P 32-Inch Full HD IPS Monitor with Display Port and HDMI Inputs
Software - $60
Blue Iris – Video Security and webcam software
Apps - $40
Blue Iris – Mobile App license – 4 units
UPS - $130
CyberPower CP1000PFCLCD PFC Sinewave UPS System, 1000VA/600W, 10 Outlets, AVR, Mini-Tower
Cameras - $460
6 - Dahua Ip Camera IPC-HFW1320S 3Mp POE Mini IR Bullet 30m ONVIF 3.6mm
POE Switch - $95
BV-Tech 8 Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch – 130W – 802.3at – POE-SW800G
CAT5e Cable - $200
2000 feet Cat5e network cable
Connectors - $30
Platinum Tools 100010C EZ-RJ45 Cat 6+ Connectors, Clamshell, 50-Pieces
TOTAL = $2,550
Hi User,

Looking good for that grant request, remember when you are ready to buy - you can save money on the PC

For the cameras, go with the IPC-HDW5231xxx starlights... I have both those and the 1320 model and the starlights are far superior at night. Remember you can go for the fixed lens version after your grant is approved.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
if you are forced to buy new (though i dont see anyone knowing the difference if you use the dell outlet), the dell xps 8930 may be a better value. remember the 8th gen processors are much more powerful than the 7th. Choose windows 10 pro.

User Name

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi User,

Looking good for that grant request, remember when you are ready to buy - you can save money on the PC

For the cameras, go with the IPC-HDW5231xxx starlights... I have both those and the 1320 model and the starlights are far superior at night. Remember you can go for the fixed lens version after your grant is approved.
Thank you @mat200. Just what I was looking for. So many cameras, so little time!

suddenstop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Definitely buy the better cameras - thats the whole point. I would also consider getting an NVR.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you @mat200. Just what I was looking for. So many cameras, so little time!
Remember to adds tools to the list

Example:
Professional Modular Crimps, Strips, and Cuts Tool with Ratchet - Monoprice.com

Don't worry - you can get a cheaper one once the grant comes in

Here's a list from my notes at another site:
Tools:
In the notes there's some discussion of tools. Here's a quick review of what you may not already have:

Again you're working on the grant proposal right now, so just need to be certain you've asked for enough to do the job well.

When you're ready to buy you can fine tune the actual purchase better.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Remember to add junction boxes!

PFA130-E for the turrets!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The guy in this video is full of misinformation. Silicone grease is NOT conductive, and that is why you want to use it on multi-contact connections.
Hi Handinpalm,

I've been looking for a better video to show what this stuff is, if you know of one please let me know as I would like to have something visual people can see how you use it.
( scotty indeed does get the conductive aspect wrong, but he does get the application uses right )

handinpalm

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hi Handinpalm,

I've been looking for a better video to show what this stuff is, if you know of one please let me know as I would like to have something visual people can see how you use it.
( scotty indeed does get the conductive aspect wrong, but he does get the application uses right )
I do not know of any good videos for silicon grease. It is more of a common sense type of thing. Remember it is an insulator, so apply the grease sparingly around the RJ45 contacts, so you don't get globs on the contact interface. Can probably by applied more liberally on the outer surface connector interface, then cover it with your wrapping of choice. Always good to use silicon based grease to keep moisture out and reduce oxidation, because hydrocarbon based grease will make the plastic brittle and can snap over time.