Optiplex Motherboard Form Factor

Discussion in 'NVR's, DVR's & Computers' started by sleetdawg, Feb 14, 2018.

Share This Page

1. sleetdawg

sleetdawg n3wb

Unusual question, but I figure some of you might have already gone down this path or can at least tell me if I am spinning my wheels.

My BI box runs happily on a Dell Optiplex 5050 in the tower case. I'd like to move a different case that might have a little more drive bay capacity and use less than 4U on my tiny rack.

I can't find anything online that indicates if the board is a standard ATX format or any other variant. Before I crack the case open for exploratory surgery, does anyone more familiar with Dell know if Dell uses a particular standard complaint form factor, and/or if they screw with it enough to make it practically useless in another case?

2. witchboard

witchboard n3wb

Here is a link to the service manual with an image of the motherboard. You may be able to determine what form factor it is by the screw mounts if it's not proprietary.

OptiPlex 5050 Tower Owner's Manual

3. NoloC

NoloC Getting comfortable

Dell motherboards are proprietary, unfortunately.

4. sleetdawg

sleetdawg n3wb

Drats. Oh well, no big deal. Thanks guys.

5. dryfly

dryfly Getting the hang of it

Future buyers might want to keep that in mind when lured by the alleged ultra low prices of Dell machines.

6. fenderman

fenderman Staff Member

the low prices are not alleged...they are fact...if you buy the correct machine you wont need to swap the board or the cases...