Ordered cheap cam for bird watching

jasburrito

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

Attachments

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

jasburrito

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My computer bud said I ordered the wrong ones. Should have ordered ip poe. I ordered ip no power supply. Trying to cancel now. will order the right ones. My bad . Cheers

Reaction score
In a pinch you can probably get a POE splitter of the right voltage to extract the POE supply directly into the DC connector. Buying that splitter might double your costs, and making it waterproof might end up adding more waterproof boxes etc (more cost).

However, quick feedback on that camera, it looks like a really cheap one, looks like its a cloud-setup-based one (so security might not be as good), and I didn't see any significant performance specs and only a bunch of simulated marketing pictures. Not a camera aficionado, but I'd be worried about ALL those factors.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In case you're too late to cancel, don't fret too much: I recognize 'Xmeyeye', the default IP and it should work with BI, cloud setup not required; just do NOT scan QR code with a smartphone. In BI, choose cam in drop-down as 'Xmeye', model will come up as 'H.264 port 34567'.

If you're not pushing over +/- 60 feet of CAT-5e, you could try a passive splitter like this indoor to avoid weather issues as noted by @crw030 , powered by a UL-listed 12VDC adapter like this.

Of course as with any camera and it's connectors, they need to be protected from the elements, especially moisture intrusion.

The cam would be easier to install near a bird feeder and away from the house if it were POE as @crw030 mentioned, but in case you can't cancel you can make it work (and be a 'leg up') next time...and there WILL be a next time! :cool:

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
In case you're too late to cancel, don't fret too much: I recognize 'Xmeye', the default IP and it should work with BI, cloud setup not required; just do NOT scan QR code with a smartphone. In BI, choose cam in drop-down as 'Xmeye', model will come up as 'H.264 port 34567'.
I agree, it looks like the inexpensive HiSilicon 3516 based 'Xmeye' camera. The same camera as the TOP-201 and the little square PC-board cameras available on eBay. It will definitely work, but DON'T load any browser plug-ins suggested by the camera, as there were problems last year with bad firmware. Do as TonyR said for BlueIris, and you should be good to go.

burrito

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm having a lot of fun with my bird cams. I'm just using some cheap ip cameras I bought before I knew any better. POE definitely simplifies the wiring.

I currently have four cameras setup on my feeder. Here's the overall view:

The closeup cameras on each platform get some cool shots:

I also have a camera on the ground that mostly gets bunnies, squirrels, and doves:

Reaction score
Really love your bird cam!

I have plans and the camera (thanks @TenderTendon ) but haven't decided whether to put up my bird-cam-box-nest after the current birds have their new clutch and depart, or if I should just wait until winter to avoid disrupting the mourning doves who setup residence every few weeks.