Ouch! I'm a victim of fraud. But #iamcomingforyou

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by alastairstevenson, Dec 9, 2017.

Share This Page

1. alastairstevenson

alastairstevenson Known around here

I do believe that I'm savvy enough not to be taken in by a fraudster, known in the UK as a 'rogue trader'. But I have been. Despite doing what I thought was enough due diligence on the trader prior to handing over any money.
    I'm often on the lookout for different Hikvision products to explore, ideally at low prices (Scots upbringing), so when I found a collection of new (and new to me) devices for sale on Gumtree at a price that seemed too good to be true - they were.
    After a month, no delivery, despite multiple promises. And my emails and texts and phone calls now blocked. In the big scheme of things, not that big a deal. More of an embarrassment.

What is fascinating though, once you get over the feeling of expectations dashed, is how much information the internet can provide.
    Facebook pages, website content, whois domain name lookups, reverse whois lookups (great for investigative work), UK Companies House searches (multiple compulsorily dissolved companies - that says something), links to family members and friends, Google StreetView etc etc.
    The connections just grow and grow. Once it's out there, it's out there.
    I feel just like one of the Chinese teens who get class credits for filling out their target research portfolio in support of the APT. But that was in another life.

I'll hopefully be finding out how the UK courts system deals with this type of unwanted situation.
    There is a 'Simple Procedure' Court process in Scotland that's remarkably well supported by advice and guidance.
    Once some time-based pre-requisites have been completed I'll be initiating that.

Without wanting to prejudice any future activity by giving too much away - and admittedly a bit of a long shot (but there was a Facebook post that got quickly deleted) I wondered if any Scottish members of this forum had any dealings with any CCTV supply and install companies in the central belt of Scotland, specifically in the Livingston, West Lothian area. If so - I'd be interested to hear from you.

2. fenderman

fenderman Staff Member

@alastairstevenson feel free to name names when you feel the time is right...
    How did you send payment?

3. alastairstevenson

The payment was sent via a bank transfer to an account reference on a company invoice. So none of the protection that a credit card payment would give.
    The whole thing was very plausible, well constructed.
    But it seems to be a lot of effort for the sums involved.

fenderman likes this.
  4. looney2ns

looney2ns Known around here

Ugh, low life scum sucking POS.
    Hope you get him.

alastairstevenson likes this.
  5. Kawboy12R

Kawboy12R Known around here

I look forward to hearing about your future successful conclusion.

6. drunkpenguin

drunkpenguin Getting comfortable

I had my credit card number stolen a while back for the first time. We got back from a vacation and I started to check my account to see where I was at and there were dozens of charges from Lyft and Papa Johns Pizza in a state I had never been to. At the time I didn't even know what Lyft was! The bank ended up refunding me the 400 dollars but I would have loved to know how they got the card.

7. looney2ns

looney2ns Known around here

My bank has told me, it's out there and it will be used at some point. I've had my debit card replaced 3 times in the past 5 years. My Credit Union is VERY good about catching fraudulent purchase's and stop them before they can complete.

Couple of yrs ago, my brother in law gets a phone call from a place in Canada, and asks "Did you order $13,000 worth of trashcans from
    us" Uh, no. Ok, we'll not process the order. And this is a guy that is paranoid about EVERYTHING. He claims to have never used a card online.

8. drunkpenguin

drunkpenguin Getting comfortable

I use Wells Fargo, the annoying thing is I cannot leave my home state without telling them or my card WILL get declined as they think its fraud. Happened to me several times. But yet, some idiot steals it and has no problem using it.

9. alastairstevenson

I'm curious whether the Facebook page is down, or if the trader has just blocked my access to it.
    I'd appreciate it if any forum member that's not on my Facebook 'friends list' (just in case he's checking connections) could check out the Facebook link at the bottom of this website and see if it works for them. It doesn't work for me - maybe I'm on the blocked list.
    CCTV Installer - ATsecuritas - Livingston, Scotland

10. fenderman

fenderman Staff Member

its down...side note, wtf is that music on their page...

11. alastairstevenson

It's as bad and as annoying as his inability to deliver the items bought and paid for in good faith.

fenderman likes this.
  12. Jinx

Jinx Young grasshopper

That website is terrible, I love this bit...

Sounds more like you are getting a kid who left school at 16 for a day!
    How on earth can you supply an Engineer for £99 a day? It would be several times that for a installer, let alone an 'Engineer'.

If you want to check a website try, Is It Down Right Now? Website Down or Not?, they will test it for you.

13. EMPIRETECANDY

EMPIRETECANDY IPCT Vendor

i met a guy from UK, we made business for many years, one time he bought many cams and told me he has a big project and no enough money to invest, so i think I have to support him, but he disappeared and told him bankrupt and disappeared. I am bit shocked for that guy, i still can see him on facebook, seems not bad. that lot i lost 8000usd....

looney2ns likes this.
  14. Kawboy12R

Kawboy12R Known around here

That guy needs a visit from someone large and angry...

15. Jinx

Jinx Young grasshopper

Name and shame him Andy, a few UK guys on here.

alastairstevenson and TonyR like this.
  16. alastairstevenson

It would be ironic if the trading name was one of these :
    RSTECHNOLOGIES SCOTLAND LTD Company number SC409377
    AG CCTV LIMITED Company number SC375973
    ONECALLSECURITY LTD Company number SC363807
    ATSecuritas

marku2 and fenderman like this.
  17. marku2

marku2 Getting comfortable

PREDATORS FACE and ROLLING THUNDER.
    that might stop him ripping people off and send him back to his last 3 company's

18. EMPIRETECANDY

called Dave Wilks he lived in Potland of UK.

Jinx likes this.
  19. EMPIRETECANDY

You can show the payment proof to the police and last time there has a friend from NL and also met a fraud, the supplier mail box attacked, and changed their bank account from HSBC HK to a UK bank, bad luck, lost 30K EUROS.

20. tangent

tangent Known around here

Careful, some scams try to first acquire account and routing numbers and then later commit a larger fraudulent transaction. There's shockingly little protection against eft fraud. See if your bank will let you add 2fa to your account for all interaction with them and all wire transfers. Some banks use software tokens on your phone others issue rsa keyfobs, but it may not be available from all banks or on all accounts.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
  21. alastairstevenson

It's taken a while to get through the various required actions and the time allowed for responses, however -

On 4th April the local Sheriff Court upheld my claim against the respondent rogue trader for non-delivery of the Hikvision NVR and cameras that I paid for, and has issued a Court Order and decreed that the items must be delivered within 28 days, and the costs of the Claim to be reimbursed.
    Failing delivery, the respondent must repay the money plus £200 compensation for my time plus the costs of the claim.

If there is no remedy within the 28 days, the claimant (that's me) can instruct Sheriff Officers to enforce the Court Order by performing a variety of actions to recover the money, including 'attachment' where money or goods of a suitable value can be seized from the respondent and liquidated.

So a bit more waiting - but this unfinished transaction is heading for a conclusion.

japjoe7, j4co, marku2 and 4 others like this.
  22. tangent

tangent Known around here

I didn't realize treble damages were just a US thing. Glad you're getting some resolution.

23. CCTVCam

CCTVCam Pulling my weight

I'm unsure if Scotland is the same as the rest of the UK in this as I know the law differs, but if it is, escalate enforcement to the High Court. For an extra small fee, I think it's about £20 more expensive that County Court enforcement, you can escalate it up and High Court bailiffs have more powers, eg the power to force entry. Well worth the extra small risk, as it increases the possibility of recovering your money.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
  24. alastairstevenson

Yes, the law is different here in Scotland.
    The Sheriff Officers are the equivalent of Bailiffs, and work for the Sheriff Court.
    Then there are Messengers at Arms that work for the Court of Session, maybe the equivalent of what you described.

It does puzzle me why the respondent has just ignored all communications. It will cost him much more in the end.

25. haz87

haz87 n3wb

I live close to Livingston, so if you need a hand smashing some windows, give me a shout :)

Did you report it to Trading Standards as they can usually help with these kind of issues.

Haz.

26. alastairstevenson

Haha! I might just take you up on that.

Yes, I have a 'rogue trader' case with the very helpful Citizens Advice Bureau who share their data with Trading Standards.
    But neither had any knowledge of this particular trader.

27. alastairstevenson

I thought I'd give my rogue trader a poke on the Gumtree account that he scammed me on. This is the result lol!
    The 28 day 'last chance' period ends on April 28th.

upload_2018-4-21_21-48-53.png

28. jeremylatz

jeremylatz Young grasshopper

Can't stand fraudsters. I guess they rely on most people letting them go. Good luck with the final resolution, @alastairstevenson

29. tyger

tyger n3wb

i signed up for this forum just to talk about this man. he is up in court on Wednesday this week. anyone want information on allan james troup? i have known of/him for years. im also in the security industry and despise what he is doing.

MR ALLAN JAMES TROUP's director profile. Review key details about current and historic company appointments associated with this director
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/allan-troup-9bb417154/
    Court Roll
    current scam machine:
    ATSECURITAS LIMITED - Overview (free company information from Companies House)

30. alastairstevenson

Interesting!
    Tell me where and when, and I will be there.
    I should find it in the Court Roll. **edit* Didn't spot your link - many thanks **

Despite having my claim upheld in the Scottish Courts, I've had zero success in getting any recompense.
    I also had the Sheriff Officers execute a 'bank account arrestment' but he is savvy enough to keep the account empty, so no result from that.

He has also been active since on Gumtree, under various pseudonyms, linked to his family and friends such as Dawson, his son, Douglas, his Dad, James etc.
    I wonder if his 2 daughters know what a piece of work he is?
    I suspect his wife, Carol is in on it.

I spotted one big set of CCTV items for sale that he had obtained from a CCTV company down in London and did not pay for.
    They had to claim for the lost goods on their insurance.

Below was the last dialogue I had with him on Gumtree. I suspect he'd been drinking.
    It was in response to this : ATSecuritas
    I kept a bit quiet after that as I was going for the bank account arrestment.
    But he did shut down his atsecuritas.co.uk website, and finally register ATSecuritas with Companies House.
    And he did hide his multiple WhoIs details behind a Privacy Service.
    upload_2018-10-8_11-48-43.png

This was a previous court appearance :
    BBC NEWS | UK | Scotland | Edinburgh, East and Fife | Dating agency prank man sentenced