Outdoor camera without wiring

Bboy486

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am looking to install a camera outside in several spots. I'm in AZ so the heat and monsoons are the biggest concerns.

I was wondering if there was way to install without running electrical wires as I do not know how to do that and didn't want to hire. I do have 3 outdoors in my yard available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dalepa

Reaction score
You can run POE (Power over Ethernet) cables on cameras that support POE. This allow for just one wire without the need for power plug outside. The POE wire will be run back to a POE switch and NVR or BlueIris PC.

Still somewhat complicated, but easy with a little education.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Bboy486

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That is a good idea. But couldn't the camera connect to BI over wifi then?

Bboy486

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ah I misread but the issue is I would still need to run Ethernet to the outdoor camera.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ah I misread but the issue is I would still need to run Ethernet to the outdoor camera.

There is no such thing as a completely wireless surveillance camera. They sell camera systems that run off batteries like arlo but they are toys should never be considered. It would be cheaper and more effective to pay someone to run ethernet.

Tiger_Claw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I myself wouldn't under sell a system like Arlo. Those camera's are great for providing on the fly monitoring and awareness, but not an effective means of continuous recording. It really depends on what your individual needs are. I use both types of system's, i.e. PoE and VueZone. VueZone being the 1st generation of what is now Arlo. Those Arlo cameras are really nice, but rather expensive. Cameras like that communicate off a proprietary receiver and use a proprietary mobile app and web based interface for accessing them.

Camera's like that are great for setting up to record on motion detection only and sending alerts via their mobile app, but battery life is dependent on the frequency in which they are being accessed/used. I use my VueZone cameras only as a means to send me a snap-shot image if activity is detected. At that point I would access them if needed and initiate a manual recording, etc. The beauty of this type of system is the ease of moving the cameras around. They can be great spy cams as well and battery life with average use is about three + months. I get about 6-8 months on my VueZone cams.

Running a PoE system would be the best choice for monitoring/recording locations of increased activity. It's not that difficult to run conduit and a Cat5/6 cable outside either, but does require a NVR (recorder) and/or a PC running Blue Iris (or equivalent) along with a PoE injector for powering them. I'm not sure if all NVR's provide power, but mine do. The only cams that need an injector (power) are those running as standalone on my network.

Take a moment and view the Arlo web site. These might be all you need for now, but in time you will benefit far better off a dedicated PoE based system.

Tiger

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I myself wouldn't under sell a system like Arlo. Those camera's are great for providing on the fly monitoring and awareness, but not an effective means of continuous recording. It really depends on what your individual needs are. I use both types of system's, i.e. PoE and VueZone. VueZone being the 1st generation of what is now Arlo. Those Arlo cameras are really nice, but rather expensive. Cameras like that communicate off a proprietary receiver and use a proprietary mobile app and web based interface for accessing them.

Camera's like that are great for setting up to record on motion detection only and sending alerts via their mobile app, but battery life is dependent on the frequency in which they are being accessed/used. I use my VueZone cameras only as a means to send me a snap-shot image if activity is detected. At that point I would access them if needed and initiate a manual recording, etc. The beauty of this type of system is the ease of moving the cameras around. They can be great spy cams as well and battery life with average use is about three + months. I get about 6-8 months on my VueZone cams.

Running a PoE system would be the best choice for monitoring/recording locations of increased activity. It's not that difficult to run conduit and a Cat5/6 cable outside either, but does require a NVR (recorder) and/or a PC running Blue Iris (or equivalent) along with a PoE injector for powering them. I'm not sure if all NVR's provide power, but mine do. The only cams that need an injector (power) are those running as standalone on my network.

Take a moment and view the Arlo web site. These might be all you need for now, but in time you will benefit far better off a dedicated PoE based system.

Tiger
Arlo is a terrible idea.
1) Motion detection only works when close to the camera, because it relies on PIR only. You also dont get any pretrigger frames.
2) no continuous record.
3) MONTHLY FEE!!! If you want more than 1gb or 7 days of recording you have to pay monthly.
4) Battery replacement, time, cost, Murphy's law-they will die when you need it
5) Cannot display 24/7 on internal monitor
6)Cannot integrate into any other system.
7) wifi is unreliable
8) Its way over priced, it would cost about the same to pay someone to run ethernet.
There are toys and should not be used. Pay someone to run ethernet.

Tiger_Claw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok; I think you about covered your impression of both VueZone and Arlo :laugh:

Like I said..... I have both and stared off with VueZone. Yes, there is no comparison with all the bells and whistles our PoE cams provide, but Arlo isn't a terrible idea to most and I myself still love my little sub-par, grainy image 1st gen meatballs.

Yeah, they do come with a monthly service charge. I'm paying a whopping 4.99 monthly.

Not everyone starts off with a great systems and/or even wants to deal with with the learning curve. That's why some people prefer building a PC from ground up and others buy pre-built, etc.

If those Arlo systems weren't so high priced I would own one right now and toss my older meatballs. They have flexibility and easy of use I enjoy and are better then not using a cam system at all.

tiger

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok; I think you about covered your impression of both VueZone and Arlo :laugh:

Like I said..... I have both and stared off with VueZone. Yes, there is no comparison with all the bells and whistles our PoE cams provide, but Arlo isn't a terrible idea to most and I myself still love my little sub-par, grainy image 1st gen meatballs.

Yeah, they do come with a monthly service charge. I'm paying a whopping 4.99 monthly.

Not everyone starts off with a great systems and/or even wants to deal with with the learning curve. That's why some people prefer building a PC from ground up and others buy pre-built, etc.

If those Arlo systems weren't so high priced I would own one right now and toss my older meatballs. They have flexibility and easy of use I enjoy and are better then not using a cam system at all.

tiger
You are comparing arlo to not having a system. That is not the proper comparison. Its arlo vs a hardwired system. Arlo's fee for ONLY 10gb of storage or only 30 days whichever comes first is 99 dollars annually. https://www.arlo.com/en-us/products/subscription-plans.aspx?cid=gwma
Even at 4.99 a month, thats sixty a year in perpetuity. It is cheaper to install hard wired cameras even if you have to pay someone to do it. So the bottom line is a hard wired system is cheaper and better. Makes no sense to install arlo from the get go. Its a terrible idea and makes no sense at all.

Bboy486

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Tiger

I think I'm going to go with running Ethernet. The crawl space is really small and it is my an easy job. Plus it is the summer here and super hot.

Thankyoy for the options. I was hoping to have a camera that had wifi and only needed power (to plug into my outdoor outlets and then have BI monitor by setting up the camera from there.

So last question what should I look for in the outdoor camera? Poe, pir, etc.?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you have electrical outlets for power, look at powerline networking.. you can send the network signal over the 120vac wires.

FYI, power is wiring... the only decent cameras that require no wires.. are game cameras that run off batteries, and they are not that useful for security surveillance.

hawkeye68

n3wb
Reaction score
There are WiFi cameras available that only require a power connection. I am in Mesa AZ and use Amcrest HDSeries Outdoor 720P WiFi Wireless IP Security Cameras and they work very well. The only issue is your router's wireless range; you may find as I did that a WiFi extender will be necessary.

dalepa

Reaction score
So last question what should I look for in the outdoor camera? Poe, pir, etc.?

1. POE + Blue Iris + PC
2. Lens: 4mm is common, 2.8mm for very tight spaces like a porch, 6mm for longer distances
3. Hikvision DS02cd3345-i is a great cam that's easy to mount, easy to point, great image quality, and only cost $77 on amazon.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Do not use wifi..use quality cable.. not CCA or copper clad aluminum junk..do not buy Amcrest.. they left their customers holding the bag when they were selling foscam.

hawkeye68

n3wb
Reaction score
Do not use wifi..use quality cable.. not CCA or copper clad aluminum junk..do not buy Amcrest.. they left their customers holding the bag when they were selling foscam.
Unfortunately for some there is no workable option other than WiFi. Particularly here in AZ. where most houses are built on slab and many, such as my own, have no attic either. For me running wires was not an option.

Bboy486

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Unfortunately for some there is no workable option other than WiFi. Particularly here in AZ. where most houses are built on slab and many, such as my own, have no attic either. For me running wires was not an option.
What did you use for outdoor cam? I'm in AZ too.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
There are professional low voltage cable runners that can do this with ease. Its always an option. Wifi is terrible for surveillance cameras. If you can run power to them you can run ethernet to them. Its really that simple.
OP beware of Amcrest. Its predecessor company, foscam.us/foscam digital technologies, simply abandoned all its customers and refuses to provide support/warranty.
If you do choose to go wifi - terrible idea (instead of ethernet or powerline) then you DONT need a wifi camera. All you need is a cheap wifi bridge. That will make ANY IP camera wifi. This will have the advantage of having the antenna inside and a stronger signal which will provide much better reception.

Bboy486

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So foscam are not worthy cameras. Hikvision is best?