Outdoor ethernet cable?

sibi78

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,

Newbie here! I already have indoor cat 5e cable from monoprice. I'm looking to use it for installing a few cameras around my home. Depending on the location of the camera, when bringing the ethernet cable to my attic (its 2 story home with attic on the 3rd floor if you will) I expect a few feet of the cable to be exposed outside. Am I better off buying new set of outdoor rated cables and use them throughout or can I make some sort of piping to cover the few exposed feet but use the indoor version? Or can I combine both - use indoor for inside the attic and connect it to outdoor just when needed. I was worried about troubleshooting and connectors etc with the last option. Thoughts/suggestions?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would use PVC conduit from the attic to the junction box that is connected to the camera. Painted the conduit to match the house. Running exposed wire on the outside of the house is not a good idea.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all,

Newbie here! I already have indoor cat 5e cable from monoprice. I'm looking to use it for installing a few cameras around my home. Depending on the location of the camera, when bringing the ethernet cable to my attic (its 2 story home with attic on the 3rd floor if you will) I expect a few feet of the cable to be exposed outside. Am I better off buying new set of outdoor rated cables and use them throughout or can I make some sort of piping to cover the few exposed feet but use the indoor version? Or can I combine both - use indoor for inside the attic and connect it to outdoor just when needed. I was worried about troubleshooting and connectors etc with the last option. Thoughts/suggestions?
Hi @sibi78

Remember to test the locations before committing to them, and please do share what you can here so that others can gain from your experience.

Question - how many cameras do you plan to mount at the top of the 2nd story? Do you plan to mount many lower than that?

sibi78

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi @sibi78

Remember to test the locations before committing to them, and please do share what you can here so that others can gain from your experience.

Question - how many cameras do you plan to mount at the top of the 2nd story? Do you plan to mount many lower than that?
Sure, thanks for the suggestion. I'm planning to install 2 cameras closer to the 1st floor. So I am worried about running cables from closer to the 2nd floor down(attic) to the 1st floor.

sibi78

n3wb
Reaction score
I was also thinking running the cable to the attic internally. Will explore both options.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sure, thanks for the suggestion. I'm planning to install 2 cameras closer to the 1st floor. So I am worried about running cables from closer to the 2nd floor down(attic) to the 1st floor.
Hi @sibi78

Remember cameras mounted too high are typically do not provide good chances of capturing images which are useful to ID suspects.

If you have an attached garage, that would be a good place to use as a base to attach a few lower mounted cameras to. Often you can use that attached garage to give you good coverage on the front of your home. ( typically 2 cameras covering the driveway, and 1 camera on each side of the garage -- one covering the side by the garage and one covering the walkway to the front door )