outdoor IP camera to monitor the car from the 8th floor

Andrey

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello. Please help me choose an outdoor IP camera to monitor my car 24/7 from the 8th floor of my apartment.

I need the following features:
  • loop recording to the memory card inside the camera;
  • ability to download the videos from memory card via the network;
  • ability to connect to the camera from the iPhone to watch the current situation.
WiFi is not a mandatory because I will be connecting it by Ethernet cable.

It seems that I have found such IP camera on eBay for USD35.93. Will this camera will suit my needs?

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello. Please help me choose an outdoor IP camera to monitor my car 24/7 from the 8th floor of my apartment.

I need the following features:
  • loop recording to the memory card inside the camera;
  • ability to download the videos from memory card via the network;
  • ability to connect to the camera from the iPhone to watch the current situation.
WiFi is not a mandatory because I will be connecting it by Ethernet cable.

It seems that I have found such IP camera on eBay for USD35.93. Will this camera will suit my needs?
That camera is garbage...
You will need a camera with a different lens that can zoom in further since you will be at a distance. 12mm at least.
Might consider these mini ptz if your car is in a different spot every day, https://www.ipcamtalk.com/forumdisplay.php/58-Huisun
Or a varifocal fixed camera if you have a set spot.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Andrey

n3wb
Reaction score
That camera is garbage...
Why?
You will need a camera with a different lens that can zoom in further since you will be at a distance. 12mm at least.
Might consider these mini ptz if your car is in a different spot every day, https://www.ipcamtalk.com/forumdisplay.php/58-Huisun
Or a varifocal fixed camera if you have a set spot.
I have a set spot and I don't need a PTZ or zoom only. I will be happy just to know if my car is there or not.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Why?

I have a set spot and I don't need a PTZ or zoom only. I will be happy just to know if my car is there or not.
These junk cheap china noname cameras are just that. Bad sensor, low resolution, generally bad quality, If you want to flush money down the drain then go for it.
Whats the point of knowing if your car is there if you cant identify the person who took it? That is assuming the camera works and doesnt crash/go offline. Spend more money and get a camera that is proven reliable.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Why?

because its $35 and 1MP, you get what you pay for and your paying for junk.

I dont see the point in just seeing if the car is there or not without at least attempting to identify anyone messing with it.. there are few things worse than catching a thief on camera and being completely unable to use any of the video to your advantage.

You need Zoom, you dont want to record the whole parking lot when its just your car that your interested in.. and nobody should be spending any money on any camera less than 1080p now days, those 720p cameras might as well be analouge dinosaurs, actually even analouge cameras have higher resolution than 720p now days... 720p was sooo 2006, here in 2016 were looking at UltraHD 4k!

Andrey

n3wb
Reaction score
These junk cheap china noname cameras are just that. Bad sensor, low resolution, generally bad quality
This is a HongJingTian model 0103004A02A. It has no so bad picture quality:
Whats the point of knowing if your car is there if you cant identify the person who took it?
I don't think that I will be able to identify the person at night from 8th floor with any camera.
You need Zoom, you dont want to record the whole parking lot when its just your car that your interested in.
I can use a 6 mm lens for this purpose. The seller can ship the camera with the lens that I need.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Perhaps they watch too many Hollywood movies? :) Maybe in Russia criminals use that but if you watch on youtube surveillance footage in the US, at the most they'll have a hoodie or a baseball hat. At the very least good zoomed in view would make a great youtube video.

Andrey

n3wb
Reaction score
At the very least good zoomed in view would make a great youtube video.
But someone should monitor 24/7 this camera to be able to get use of zoom, because it's only available during live recording and not in recorded video files, right?

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Yes if you are not planning to leave it zoomed in. This camera technically has auto tracking which will auto zoom for you when it detects motion, but it's not really reliable. You can probably find youtube videos that show that. Hikvision also makes auto tracking camera which is appears to work better at twice the cost. Or you could just zoom in on your car and leave it there too.

Andrey

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes if you are not planning to leave it zoomed in. This camera technically has auto tracking which will auto zoom for you when it detects motion, but it's not really reliable. You can probably find youtube videos that show that. Hikvision also makes auto tracking camera which is appears to work better at twice the cost. Or you could just zoom in on your car and leave it there too.
I think I'll just use the right lens with cheap camera instead of using expensive camera with zoom that I will use only once.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
I think I'll just use the right lens with cheap camera instead of using expensive camera with zoom that I will use only once.
It was just an idea, I personally wouldn't get one either at this price, when we have <200 auto tracking cameras then I would be all over.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
This is a HongJingTian model 0103004A02A. It has no so bad picture quality:

I don't think that I will be able to identify the person at night from 8th floor with any camera.

I can use a 6 mm lens for this purpose. The seller can ship the camera with the lens that I need.
The image quality is terrible. Will be much worse 8 floors up. Good luck with the camera. If you think you can just compare specs online you are very wrong. The most important part of the camera is firmware. If its crap and causes the camera to freeze, you will have a 35 dollar doorstop, but I think your mind was already made up before the post.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
you can get a 2MP-4MP Hikvision or Dahua that comes with great FREE iOS/Android apps, had onboard storage, great reliable firmware/hardware and a 12mm lens for under $100 and it wont let you down.

the camera you want is damn near worthless, you wont be happy with it... but its just $35... burn it up and find out for your self, were just trying to save you the grief unless you own such a pile of junk car that anything more than $35 to protect it is unreasonable

heck the $106 4MP 6mm dahua camera I just ordered actually has missing object detection and long range IR, so it can actually tell if your car is gone and notify you reliably.. night or day and the 12mm lens is an option.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Original-Dahua-DH-IPC-HFW4421D-AS-Audio-4MP-HD-WDR-Network-LXIR-Bullet-Camera-CCTV-IP/32521895436.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Andrey

n3wb
Reaction score
The most important part of the camera is firmware. If its crap and causes the camera to freeze, you will have a 35 dollar doorstop, but I think your mind was already made up before the post.
I didn't think about it. Maybe you are right. The firmware could be very buggy.
has missing object detection
How it is implemented?

Last edited by a moderator:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
this is how missing object works.. you set it to trigger an email with a snapshot and I think you'll have exactly what you want