Outdoor LED light bulb selection for full color cams ?

juliand

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I haven't seen this posted around here, so, I have 2 outdoor lamps - 1@front door (wall sconce) , 1@ driveway post light 25' out, full color cam dahua n45ef63 is 10' away from front door on side wall, and drive light end up 35" away from cam.
I'm getting halo's around both lights, the drive light more so. They both have maybe 60w. cfl's in them.
Would going to warm white (2700k) LED's make a better difference in removing glare/halo effect? would going up in lumen help or make it harsher?
any thoughts?
they are not cheap either, for decent Philip's brand.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I haven't seen this posted around here, so, I have 2 outdoor lamps - 1@front door (wall sconce) , 1@ driveway post light 25' out, full color cam dahua n45ef63 is 10' away from front door on side wall, and drive light end up 35" away from cam.
I'm getting halo's around both lights, the drive light more so. They both have maybe 60w. cfl's in them.
Would going to warm white (2700k) LED's make a better difference in removing glare/halo effect? would going up in lumen help or make it harsher?
any thoughts?
they are not cheap either, for decent Philip's brand.
Is it moisture/condensation?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Notwithstanding any fog/mist in the vicinity as @David L mentioned, I'd still try a lamp closer to 4,000K to 5,000K (neutral white) color temperature as it's more likely to allow accurate reflectivity by the object and not alter it's color as seen by the camera when in color mode. A higher color temp (more blue) lamp or a lower color temp (more yellow to red) lamp will influence what the object reflects back somewhat. They're not monochromatic (one color) so they won't change it totally but IMHO, the closer to 4,500K, the better you'll be with regard to color interpretation by the camera and the human eye.

If I am incorrect, someone please set me straight.

juliand

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
hmmm.
My halo's are bright white, that's why I thought maybe a warmer temperature may work better.
No, fogging of the lens is not present.
I have a 4k in the house, I'll try one of them first.
I'm all led' s inside the home. Switched everything out 3 years ago.

juliand

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Cam_1light.jpg
there is one reflection of light bouncing off of one object. I'm not concerned about that. just the bulbs themselves. this is something I have to live with, just trying to minimize the effect as much as
possible.Cam_1light.jpg
don't mind the mess, I'm repainting the home.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
My porch light is wall mounted like your in front of my camera with 3 glasses on each side. I use black electrical tape and taped up on the glass that is facing toward to the camera.

We had a old lamp on the pole that had transparent glass on all 4 sides where the one facing toward to the house is covered with electrical tape but recently we replace it with a new pole lamp where the glass is designed to defuse the light and it seem to be working out fine for us without having to tape up one side.

windguy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
there is one reflection of light bouncing off of one object. I'm not concerned about that. just the bulbs themselves. this is something I have to live with, just trying to minimize the effect as much as
possible.
don't mind the mess, I'm repainting the home.
@juliand - have you tried any of the BACKLIGHT settings on the camera for the NIGHT profile?
I have a camera pointing up towards our entry with coach lights on both sides of the front door. Using 2700K soft white candle type bulbs. We like the more yellow softer look and find the 4000K or 5000K daylight white color too bright and industrial. Personal choice.
I made an adjustment under the camera's CONDITIONS settings - under BACKLIGHT - added BLC and it helped tone down the glare from pointing directly towards the lights so a facial image is more recognizable. It's still a trade off adjustment but provides the best outcome. Worth trying. Below is a snapshot from the testing phase.

BTW - you're doing a swell paint job! :thumb:

entry location c - BLC enabled.jpg

juliand

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have tried a lot of different settings, I have no problem with a moving image, or its definition when it comes up my my walk path or at the door.
Just trying to remove some glow from the bulbs, and it reflective surrounding glass.

my at hand project - Lots of scraping, priming, and filling, sanding, priming again.. the wood fascia and soffits are original from the mid 60's. It needed a good rejuvenation this time around.
and I hate painting, so boring :confused:

bulb changes coming soon, and using a shielded fixture probably would lose the light I need for the camera. probably gonna have to live with the glow forever because they are in my field view.
now, diffuser glass, that may do some good,
Thanks guys...

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
Without the lights the camera position is a good one. Knowing you'd have two lights in view, the camera position wasn't the best choice. You could try 40 watt bulbs and see if things improve and remain in color. In general I'd readjust the camera in two ways. One, lower the field of view to remove the ceiling above it. This will also reduce the sky as well. It could possibly help a bit with the driveway lamp but even if it doesn't it's still a better position. Two, turn the camera left just enough to remove the front door light from the image entirely. This would approximate the image to look like the crop I did. Then because you lose the front door, go for a doorbell camera for the forward view at the door. Not much else can be done short of moving the camera to a different spot.

915D1D1B-75E7-40C2-92D3-388822058026.jpeg

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
I use a small piece of aluminum tape just enough to cover the main part of the bulb.
That reduces the light towards the camera by 89% or so.
Experiment a little. I have a .75 x .75 piece inside the glass on one light and a .5 x .5 on the other one.

waliwiw

n3wb
Reaction score
I think I saw a light bulb on amazon that would be perfect for your question. I purchased LED bulbs last year for my kitchen, which always has to have lights on. Since I care about the economy too, it is not beneficial to me to leave the lamp on all night. This thought motivated me to find a more economical alternative. That solution was LED lights which I could find at a good price here: I still use them, and I can not say that it is not profitable.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

juliand

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
old thread, but what I did was black out the the glass on the fixtures that face the camera lens, and it's been negating the glare a whole lot better.