Outdoor motion sensor that can handle lighting false positives

TheWitty97

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm using a Bosch PIR at my front door connected to the alarm input on an Amcrest camera. Unfortunately, every orientation I try ends up with a lot of false positives from car headlights or sun glare.

Perhaps the Bosch PIR is too sensitive for the small area I need to monitor.

Is there any type of trip-wire-type of sensor that is just a short laser beam that will detect a person approaching the door?

Would something like the Sensky BS010H work in my scenario? I'm not sure if this unit can interface with the Amcrest camera inputs.

Thanks a lot.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm using a Bosch PIR at my front door connected to the alarm input on an Amcrest camera. Unfortunately, every orientation I try ends up with a lot of false positives from car headlights or sun glare.

Perhaps the Bosch PIR is too sensitive for the small area I need to monitor.

Is there any type of trip-wire-type of sensor that is just a short laser beam that will detect a person approaching the door?

Would something like the Sensky BS010H work in my scenario? I'm not sure if this unit can interface with the Amcrest camera inputs.

Thanks a lot.
Which Bosch, there are several.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is the camera set to only use the PIR for alarms, or is it also doing its own motion detection too?

TheWitty97

n3wb
Reaction score
Using Bosch ISC-BPR2-W12 Blue Line Gen2 PIR

The camera is not doing any motion detection. The camera is set in Blue Iris to trigger on external alarm input.

Perhaps the problem is that I have the sensor above the door facing downwards so shadows and sunlight on the pavement are in direct view (?) Maybe I should orient the sensor down low in a more horizontal angle.

Should I consider the TriTech Bosch unit with PIR and microwave? Or the quad sensor unit?

Thanks!

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Using Bosch ISC-BPR2-W12 Blue Line Gen2 PIR

The camera is not doing any motion detection. The camera is set in Blue Iris to trigger on external alarm input.

Perhaps the problem is that I have the sensor above the door facing downwards so shadows and sunlight on the pavement are in direct view (?) Maybe I should orient the sensor down low in a more horizontal angle.

Should I consider the TriTech Bosch unit with PIR and microwave? Or the quad sensor unit?

Thanks!
Be sure to look throught the Security & Automation section to see which Bosch is liked for outdoors.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've had my eye on the TriTech sensor for awhile but ended up with a Dahua 1831C-PIR (camera with a PIR sensor built in) that's worked so well (rarely a false alarm) that I'm sticking with that for the time being. Is the ISC-BPR2-W12 rated for outdoors?

GentlePumpkin

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm currently using a Bosch TriTech Sensor replacing a Instar in-500 motion detector.

According to the datasheet the Bosch should have a better range, higher reliability etc.

But according to more than two years of my experience, the cheaper and smaller Instar motion detector is significantly more reliable. Bosch appr. 6-8 false alerts per month = 72-96/year, Instar only 2 per year (!).

Both detectors were mounted at the same position with direct sunshine for 6hrs/day. Please don't get me wrong, the Bosch is the second best of several I tried, but I'll use the Instar motion detector in the future.