Outdoor POE Cameras & Grounding

Do you have any grounding on your POE Cameras

• Yes

• No

• Never thought about it

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone knows about POE Cameras and ground them when they are outside? I am being told that since they are over a cat5e Ethernet I should have an inline surge suppressor on the line. Quick information on my what my setup will be:
(House) 2 outdoor POE Cameras mounted on brick
(Run cable to shed) 1 outdoor POE Camera with Direct Burial CAT5 Ethernet cable

With the one where I am running it out to the shed I could put it in plastic conduit or metal conduit and possibly ground the metal conduit. I am worried that if lightning struck the camera or the round that i could get a large surge in my house and destroy my POE Injector, Cisco Switch, and server / other computers.

I see these on ebay: http://a.co/1M6xOsz

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

BubbaJoe

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Use plastic. My house/yard took a hit using metal conduit. It struck the ground 30 feet from the house and about 10 feet from the conduit. I was able to save my main cpu, fridge and some dvrs but that was it. Lost the TVs, cams, printer, microwave, modem, router and several lights. Everything was on surge suppressors. Some it helped, some it didn't.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A direct strike means all bets are off, you can't protect from that without some major $$$$ outlay.
Surge protection & shielded cable is to protect from the induced surges that can happen from lightning strikes from up to 2 miles away.
Buy good surge protectors, not those from Walmart. Buy Triplite, APC, etc.

Use PVC, and use direct bury rated shielded network cable. Ground it at least one end.
Put a https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00R20OIAY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_dp_v3hHAbH23K9EV?tag=ipctk-20 just before your POE switch on each cam run.
And on the shed run, put one as the cable enters into the building, and one as the cable enters the house.

Reaction score
A direct strike means all bets are off, you can't protect from that without some major $$$$ outlay.
Surge protection & shielded cable is to protect from the induced surges that can happen from lightning strikes from up to 2 miles away.
Buy good surge protectors, not those from Walmart. Buy Triplite, APC, etc.

Use PVC, and use direct bury rated shielded network cable. Ground it at least one end.
Put a https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00R20OIAY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_dp_v3hHAbH23K9EV?tag=ipctk-20 just before your POE switch on each cam run.
And on the shed run, put one as the cable enters into the building, and one as the cable enters the house.
I was looking at that item on amazon but then saw some reviews elsewhere that they are not that great. What about something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073179RBZ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=A3SLTOQSEVY97N&psc=1

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I was looking at that item on amazon but then saw some reviews elsewhere that they are not that great. What about something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073179RBZ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=A3SLTOQSEVY97N&psc=1
The Ubiquiti is meant for outdoors, that one is not. You'd have to let your cable come inside before you install that surge protector, not a good idea, IMO.
I've installed the Ubiquiti on the side of the buildings, down low near where the cable comes up from the conduit, this also keeps the ground wire short from the device to the rod, which is only about a foot away.

Reaction score
The Ubiquiti is meant for outdoors, that one is not. You'd have to let your cable come inside before you install that surge protector, not a good idea, IMO.
I've installed the Ubiquiti on the side of the buildings, down low near where the cable comes up from the conduit, this also keeps the ground wire short from the device to the rod, which is only about a foot away.

Thank you!

gmorganVA

n3wb
Reaction score
I replied to another thread about this same topic but hadn't had time to do more research.

I'm planning to install my first outdoor camera and know enough to be concerned about grounding and surges. Don't want to learn the hard way so trying to get ahead of this before it is an issue. Looking at an Anixter tech brief: "Protecting an Outdoor IP Camera: Minimize Risk to your Network" there are all kinds of things to consider. UL-497 Primary Protection (required by Article 800 of the NEC), UL-497A Secondary protection (for UTP / PoE lines that go outside), additional UTP surge protection right before the camera (on the pole, or near where it is mounted). Has anyone researched suitable devices for each of these locations? Sounds like the Ubiquiti devices could be useful on the pole and at the building edge. Tripp Lite has a PoE compliant indoor surge block (not sure if it is UL-497A). Emerson must have bought Edco which makes the PC642 series of protectors (only 2 pair...really should be 4 pair). And of course I'll need suitable ground wire runs to properly install all of this. Looks like I have my work cut out for me.

And I saw a previous recommendation of using shielded twisted pair cabling. I wish I had though of this before I bought a spool of CAT-6 (particularly for this project).