Outdoor Property Corner Coverage

Barboots

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm chasing some ideas from those who can afford the time.

I want a camera to cover some of this area so I I can monitor the boat and caravan (travel trailer). The furthest out that I could install a post is the corner of the brick garden bed. If I capture from overhead I figure I'm not going to ID any potential villains?

Any tips, tricks or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Steve

geezer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
- You could place a pole there with two cameras. One at the top with a wide FOV, one lower down with a tighter view straight out the driveway.
- Two poles would be better, of course
- If you make one or more long aerial spans, consider using cable with a built-in support strand.
Others will have more specific recommendations, I'm sure.

Barboots

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
That's not a bad idea thanks Geezer. Maybe one pole on the corner, and one approximately level with the front of the caravan (camper/TT)?

Cheers, Steve

geezer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I think you should draw a map of the property, to scale as best you can manage. Try different placements of 1 or 2 cameras of differing heights, angles, and FOV. Then get a tall stepladder, move it around, climb up and imagine the camera view (or combined views). Then make your purchase decision(s). To insure a satisfactory result, the last step before installing any poles would be to rig up the camera(s) temporarily. Somehow. Built a tripod of 2x4's. Find a portable basketball net you can borrow. Whatever.

Barboots

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have a mini scaffold for the mock-up part of the job... I'm more wondering if there are some unique options that a noob wouldn't have thought of.

Simply using a second post was a good idea. Having to dig the holes must have prevented me from thinking of it!

Barboots

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks. I've been been going through the notes and using the calculator for several days now. However the best approach for this awkward/important location is still not clear to me. Ordinarily I'd try to have more of a plan before starting off, but I'm just going to order a few Starlight varifocals and play.

The NVR is the remaining decision.

Last edited: