Reaction score
Looking for recommendations on models for the following:

Outdoor
optical zoom higher than 10x
night vision 100 feet or more
PTZ
POE
RCA audio
Record to NAS without NAS Server (SMB) - I need it to have the ability to record directly to a usb drive connected to my router.

I have been over the IP Cam Talk Cliff Notes. They are a great resource but I'm hoping for anyone to have any models to recommend that have these features.

Thank you for any suggestions!

RobinC

n3wb
Reaction score
I do really like everything about the Dahua 2MP 25x Starlight IR PTZ Network Camera (SD49225T-HN) EXCEPT the audio connection for the microphone that's just open wires.
I have an outdoor mic with RCA connections and a POE+ Injector.
I wanted POE to avoid extra cables but it looks like there are just more cables and wires to deal with and weatherproof but I can't find any illustrated simple guides on how to do just this part.
I don't know wiring, pigtail, balun, transformer, converter or any of that. It's the only thing that's putting me off this camera because I don't want to order it and then have to return it.

Sigh...

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I do really like everything about the Dahua 2MP 25x Starlight IR PTZ Network Camera (SD49225T-HN) EXCEPT the audio connection for the microphone that's just open wires.
I have an outdoor mic with RCA connections and a POE+ Injector.
I wanted POE to avoid extra cables but it looks like there are just more cables and wires to deal with and weatherproof but I can't find any illustrated simple guides on how to do just this part.
I don't know wiring, pigtail, balun, transformer, converter or any of that. It's the only thing that's putting me off this camera because I don't want to order it and then have to return it.

Sigh...
It's really not that difficult. Baby steps. ;)
You can purchase something like this to convert the bare wire to an RCA jack. https://www.amazon.com/Bluecell-10pcs-Female-Terminal-Connector/dp/B00ST2KHL8/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1538413218&sr=8-13&keywords=rca+connector+female

You just insert the two appropriate wires from the camera, into the opposite end of the rca jack, and tighten the screws to secure the wires. If you need a male version instead, they make those as well. The wires are labeled.

Purchase the junction box PFA120 when you order the camera.
Aliexpress.com : Buy Wall Mount Bracket PFA120, free shipping from Reliable bracket wall mount suppliers on Empire Technology Co., Ltd

Mount the junction box, all of the wires go into the junction box, then mount camera to the junction box.

Where will you want to mount the camera? Wall, corner of house, on a pole, etc?
If you can, post a picture of the proposed mounting location.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

RobinC

n3wb
Reaction score
Does anyone have any pictures of how the microphone would get power?

Thanks!

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Does anyone have any pictures of how the microphone would get power?

Thanks!
You would have to run a separate small wire out to the camera along with the Ethernet cable. A 16 or 18 AWG would suffice, then connect a suitable power supply in the house to that cable. A 12vdc 0.5 amp will do.
https://www.amazon.com/Five-Star-Cable-100-240V-Switching/dp/B00PZ8OT9K?keywords=12vdc+.5a+power+supply&qid=1539543785&sr=8-3&ref=sr_1_3

If you want to mount the camera on the corner, so it can look down both sides of the house, you would need this:
PFA151 | Dahua Technology in addition to the junction box above.
Mount the above junction box to the corner bracket. It can be purchased from Andy along with the cam as well.

If not, then the junction box I listed prior would just attach to the wall of the house.
You would want to make sure that you hit a wall stud with the bolts holding either the corner bracket or the junction box.

RobinC

n3wb
Reaction score
The audio cable from the camera has 3 wires labeled:
Red=AUDIO OUT
White=AUDIO IN
Black=AUDIO GROUND
I'm not going to connect a speaker, only a microphone.
The AV Screw Terminal has + and - but I don't know which of the AUDIO wires goes in + and which goes in -
and what should I do with the 3rd wire?

Thanks again for all the patient help!

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The audio cable from the camera has 3 wires labeled:
Red=AUDIO OUT
White=AUDIO IN
Black=AUDIO GROUND
I'm not going to connect a speaker, only a microphone.
The AV Screw Terminal has + and - but I don't know which of the AUDIO wires goes in + and which goes in -
and what should I do with the 3rd wire?

Thanks again for all the patient help!
Black into the - terminal and White into the +, Tape the Red wire up with a bit of electrical tape so the bare wire isn't exposed, then just shove it in the junction box.
You're welcome, glad to see you are willing to tackle this! :headbang:
As my granddaughter would say "You can do it" and give you a thumbs up. :)

RobinC

n3wb
Reaction score
Got the mic connected inside with a power adapter I already had and woo hoo it worked! Thanks for that!

I still don't have the camera outside yet.

I don't know what this means on powering the mic: run a separate small wire out to the camera along with the Ethernet cable. A 16 or 18 AWG would suffice, then connect a suitable power supply in the house to that cable.

Also - do I have to use a junction box or could I push all the stuff into the mount that came with the camera since it has a rubber seal?:
20181022_180230.jpg

RobinC

n3wb
Reaction score
Got a cable to extend the power supply to the mic so I'm very happy with that.
Is it ok to stuff the connections in the mount and screw it to a piece of wood? Or do I still need a separate PFA120 box?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry, had missed your post.
As long as you properly waterproof all the connections, you can try to stuff it all in the bracket, but it might be difficult.
I'd try it out in the house, before trying it on a ladder.
For the connections, you want to put a dab of Di-Electric grease in the female portion of all connections, then wrap the connection with coax seal tape.
https://www.amazon.com/Stuf-STUF-Dielectric-Dielectric-Waterproofing-Grease/dp/B00SS1J4JG/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1540664183&sr=8-11&keywords=coax+seal+tape

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Electronics-Original-104-Moldable/dp/B0002ZPINC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1540664372&sr=8-1&keywords=COAX-SEAL+#104