Outdoor run to connect 2 locations

R. Rod

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a property in the mountains where I have currently 4 cameras - everything runs great.
There is another structure approx. 130 feet away where I need to install another 3-4 cameras...

My plan is to connect these 2 buildings with an ethernet cable and since this is my first time doing something like this I would like to ask for feedback:
  1. I'm thinking of using CAT6, STP (gel-filled) outdoor direct burial cable. Pure copper, 23AWG.
    1. CAT6 to future proof this run, I understand cat5 should be enough for now
    2. STP to ground it - the installation I have today is properly grounded.
    3. Is there a specific brand/site you recommend?
  2. I'm planning to lay some conduit, so I can replace the cable if needed, or run another cable if I need to in the future.
    1. Not sure about the type (flexible, PVC, etc) of the conduit and the diameter that you would recommend
Is there anything else I'm missing that I should consider?
Any DOs or DONTs based on your experience?

I haven't considered fiber because I honestly don't know what it involves in terms of tools, etc.

Thank you in advance!

R. Rod

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
is there electricity at the other structure?
i'm wondering about tree roots that might be in the path of your dig....
I had a 300 ft 4 stall garage that I connected across an asphalt parking lot with a pair of Ubiquiti long range transmitter /receiver units. uses ethernet for the endpoints/ terminations. here is one example. They're are other products like this from TP link as well I believe.
I have an Amcrest 8 port DVR running 2 cameras in the garage. and they are both transmitting at full speed.

R. Rod

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
And clear Line Of Sight between the 2 structures?
This might be tricky, there are several trees between the 2 structures.
I will need to check next time I'm on site.

R. Rod

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
with a few Trees will still work but could have a degraded signal strength and speed could be down, but if you can transmit 4-8Mbps it might do the trick.
Will need to check.
In addition to the cameras, I wanted to run a computer and TV on the other location.
I currently have 80Mb/s on the main location, and I wanted to preserve as much as that speed in the secondary location as well.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This might be tricky, there are several trees between the 2 structures.
I will need to check next time I'm on site.
Take some binoculars, even some for sporting events and if you can find a place between the 2 structures, even not at roof eave level or side of structure that you can see clear LOS and doesn't appear it will be blocked by future vegetation (that can't be trimmed), then it'll work, especially the 2.4 GHz Nano Stations (not the 5GHz Locos).

If the LOS is under your control and on your property, even if mounted lower than usual to achieve LOS then it can be considered.

For instance, I put up a pair 5 years ago between my stepmom's house and her barn 150 ft away than could be blocked if someone parked in the driveway half-way between the road and the barn but she just tells her guests staying at the barn to pull up all the way to the barn to park...or they won't have Internet!

R. Rod

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Is there power at this structure?
Is there clear LOS (Line Of Sight) between the 2 structures?

If so, consider a Ubiquiti Layer 2 Transparent Bridge.
Cost is under $200 for a pre-configured pair, less than that for a standard DIY pair.
Installation time can be less than a day.

View attachment 87474
How reliable is this solution? I was thinking in wiring the 2 locations because I know it is rock solid.
The second location is for rent, so it has to be reliable.
I’m going to check over the weekend and see if I have enough LOS or if I need to go for 2.4

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The safe alternative is to run fiber optic cable if you don't have good LOS. That will provide all the bandwidth you'll ever need but does tend to get more expensive, both for cable and for fiber to copper conversions at both ends. If you do go the fiber route consider using conduit with a direct burial rated cable inside it. And this from a guy who loves the Nano Station series. Also, be aware that there are a number of Nano styles from Ubuiquity with much higher power which can mitigate poor LOS conditions over shorter ranges.

Last edited:

R. Rod

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The safe alternative is to run fiber optic cable if you don't have good LOS. That will provide all the bandwidth you'll ever need but does tend to get more expensive, both for cable and for fiber to copper conversions at both ends. If you do go the fiber route consider using conduit with a direct burial rated cable inside it. And this from a guy who loves the Nano Station series. Also, be aware that there are a number of Nano styles from Ubuiquity with much higher power which can mitigate poor LOS conditions over shorter ranges.
I haven't considered fiber because I have never dealt with it before.
I was considering copper because I'm comfortable terminating it and grounding it...
But I'm open to anything, really.
Reading more about the NanoStations because, if reliable, they are really attractive compared to digging through the woods.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The Ubiquity wireless gear, in fact all the Ubiquity gear, is very reliable. I've had a Nano Loco running for about two years without a hiccup. I know what you mean abut trenching through the woods. I hand trenched about 100 feet in our wooded front yard and it took me two days to get the trench dug due to the roots. Some were cut, but quite a few were too big so had to be dug under. What a PITA. There's no power where the cameras went so it was no choice. In your case I'd rent a Ditch Witch and even then roots can be a PITA.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I haven't considered fiber because I have never dealt with it before.
I was considering copper because I'm comfortable terminating it and grounding it...
But I'm open to anything, really.
Reading more about the NanoStations because, if reliable, they are really attractive compared to digging through the woods.
Also, not knowing about where you live, here in NW AL (and the South and SE in general) the lightning can be EXTREMELY violent and cause LOTS of damage....any metallic conductor, even a foot underground, can act like an antenna to ESD / static. I have seen it at client's houses and experienced it myself 3 times in 15 years.

Since 2008 I have installed 10 Ubiquiti wireless bridges and before that 2 Engenius wireless bridges and with the exception of a couple of inexpensive POE injectors, they all have escaped damage from lightning after several dozen fierce electrical storms in that time frame. I don't have to imagine what very well could have happened between the same 2 points had they been connected outdoors with 150' of CAT-5e cable.

I had one Ubiquiti NSM2 fail under warranty and it was not storm-related. Lightning fried a single UniFi radio in my house in 2019. It also got a 65" Sony 4K 3D TV, a Sony home theater receiver and a Sony Blue Ray DVD player

R. Rod

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Also, not knowing where you live, here in NW AL (and the South and SE in general) the lightning can be EXTREMELY violent and cause LOTS of damage....any metallic conductor, even a foot underground, can act like an antenna to ESD / static. I have seen it at client's houses and experienced it myself 3 times in 15 years.
That is a good point. This is NE GA, so yes, lightning is an issue.
In the first location, I have STP runs doing down a crawling space and to the corners of the property inside PVC conduit. I have properly grounded the patch panel and I was planning to do the same on the 2nd location.
Of course, nothing will protect against a direct hit, but there is always a risk.

I'm going to give the Nano Stations a try. I will be checking LOS this weekend, and go with 5GHz or 2.4GHz depending on it.