Outdoor Security Camera For Home

alex8828

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have some questions regarding outdoor security cameras for my home. I have purchased several different camera setups in the past five years and all were garbage and I threw them out. So what I am looking for is 5-6 bullet/dome IP cameras 2.4 Ghz and 5Ghz that will utilize my router for signal and IP address. Also, I am looking for remote viewing from from my Iphone and Mac computers. So the next part of my set up is I want these cameras to record to dvr/nvr but I do not want one that runs it's own Wifi I want it to utilize my network through Ethernet. Also, the dvr/nvr needs to have an HDMI output so I can have cameras on display on my 20" LED screen in my office. Does a set up like this exist? I do not have much knowledge in security cameras. But I am very techie in networks and cyber security. If anyone can offer some advise/suggestion maybe better setup idea. Let me know? If you have more questions for just message or respond to post.

Thanks,
Alex

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have some questions regarding outdoor security cameras for my home. I have purchased several different camera setups in the past five years and all were garbage and I threw them out. So what I am looking for is 5-6 bullet/dome IP cameras 2.4 Ghz and 5Ghz that will utilize my router for signal and IP address. Also, I am looking for remote viewing from from my Iphone and Mac computers. So the next part of my set up is I want these cameras to record to dvr/nvr but I do not want one that runs it's own Wifi I want it to utilize my network through Ethernet. Also, the dvr/nvr needs to have an HDMI output so I can have cameras on display on my 20" LED screen in my office. Does a set up like this exist? I do not have much knowledge in security cameras. But I am very techie in networks and cyber security. If anyone can offer some advise/suggestion maybe better setup idea. Let me know? If you have more questions for just message or respond to post.

Thanks,
Alex
Welcome @Alex..

Highly recommend dropping the wifi requirements. Look for a good wired IP PoE setup. See the cliff notes.

Also what kits / systems have you gotten in the past and what did you find lacking.

alex8828

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi,
Thanks for the reply. I would love to go with PoE it would give me better placement of my cameras since they do not have to be near a power supply, but I am little unsure how to conceal the Ethernet cable running from media closet all the way to far parts of my backyard. Kits I had in the past my most recent is Crystal Vision CVT-9604E, I also had a 4 channel Lorex System I do not remember the model number. Also, a long time ago had some no name brand I purchased at a trade show. So I do like the fact of all my systems had there NVR with built in router I aways had latency problems, poor signal, and total IPC disconnect. I have even purchased on my Crystal Vision set to IPC repeaters still don not get proper signal. I am not pushing out the signal to far either maybe 50 feet the farthest. Also, the remote viewing app for IOS have a lot to be desired they would never connect and when they did the video looked like it was in slow motion. So I do not like the NVR/Camera all in one system.

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Agree with mat200, wireless is ok for baby monitoring, but not for security. I preffer Dahua produts, speciallly the Starlitght series. If this installation is for your office (local LAN), all recording units include an hdmi output. If the office is at a remote location, then a PC should handle the viewing software. Another option is using an Android box with the corresponding app.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,
Thanks for the reply. I would love to go with PoE it would give me better placement of my cameras since they do not have to be near a power supply, but I am little unsure how to conceal the Ethernet cable running from media closet all the way to far parts of my backyard. Kits I had in the past my most recent is Crystal Vision CVT-9604E, I also had a 4 channel Lorex System I do not remember the model number. Also, a long time ago had some no name brand I purchased at a trade show. So I do like the fact of all my systems had there NVR with built in router I aways had latency problems, poor signal, and total IPC disconnect. I have even purchased on my Crystal Vision set to IPC repeaters still don not get proper signal. I am not pushing out the signal to far either maybe 50 feet the farthest. Also, the remote viewing app for IOS have a lot to be desired they would never connect and when they did the video looked like it was in slow motion. So I do not like the NVR/Camera all in one system.
Hi Alex8828

1) Crystal Vision CVT-9604E - Crystal Vision CVT9604E-3010W All-in-One True HD Wireless Surveillance System NVR CCTV w/ 2TB HDD, Built-in Monitor & Router, Camera Auto Pair

complaint / issue: I aways had latency problems, poor signal, and total IPC disconnect
my notes: This is to be expected with a wifi kit. Takes a lot to create a reliable wifi setup.. normally more work than a good wired setup.

2) 4 channel Lorex System

Q: do you have any more info on this? Was it WiFi also? - if so, see above

3) no name brand I purchased at a trade show

Q: do you have any more info on this? Was it WiFi also? - if so, see above

4) the remote viewing app for IOS ...

my notes: you may want a 3rd party app - or take a look at Blue Iris and the associated mobile app ( see how members like the iOS version of it ).

alex8828

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply eggsan. My only question is I ran plenty of CAt6 through out the interior of my house. But never outside. How do I run Cat6 outside to the cameras and make it not noticeable so it can be cut? Also, tell me if I am correct PoE camera do not need to be plugged into electrical outlet they receive power from the NRV?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply eggsan. My only question is I ran plenty of CAt6 through out the interior of my house. But never outside. How do I run Cat6 outside to the cameras and make it not noticeable so it can be cut? Also, tell me if I am correct PoE camera do not need to be plugged into electrical outlet they receive power from the NRV?
HI @alex8828

A lot depends on the build of the house... if you recently built it you may have some good ideas of already based on how it was framed, and how you'd run your lines.

see the following section for some ideas:
Installation Pics

Also search the forum for others who have similar style houses as yours.

If you have vinyl siding, it will be fairly easy to slide the cables under the siding.

alex8828

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi mat200
All of my past systems were Wifi controlled buy the manufacture NVR not my router and wifi.

alex8828

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
HI @alex8828

A lot depends on the build of the house... if you recently built it you may have some good ideas of already based on how it was framed, and how you'd run your lines.

see the following section for some ideas:
Installation Pics

Also search the forum for others who have similar style houses as yours.

If you have vinyl siding, it will be fairly easy to slide the cables under the siding.
Okay eggsan I will check out those pics. And my house is old but but does have vinyl siding. My problem is getting Cat6 to the far end of my backyard where my patio and shed is. Would I bury the in electrical pvc tubing?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Okay eggsan I will check out those pics. And my house is old but but does have vinyl siding. My problem is getting Cat6 to the far end of my backyard where my patio and shed is. Would I bury the in electrical pvc tubing?
Hi alex8828,

Numerous options for the camera in the shed .. if you want to run a buried line out there I would use PVC + burial grade cat5e/6

If the shed has power, you may want to try powerline adapters...

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
mat200 already exposed all possible options. Living in the Caribbean, all our installations includes PVC conduits for protecting cabling from high sun rays, including hurricanes. If exposing cables without tubing, outdoor uv rated pvc jacket is necessary. For direct burial, gel filled cable are best. My experience with powerline adapters are OK, but normally if the electrical wiring on your house/office are adequate (non commercial Netgear HomePlug works fine). If need to extend the range over WiFi, Ubiquity Loco Series bridges works fine. Good Luck

alex8828

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank for all the great information I really appreciate it. Quick question for eggsan the Dahua Starelight you mentioned is there a preferred retailer to buy from?

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
you may contact Andy, from Empire Tech. Living outside the USA, I ordered through a Distributor in my region, but if you live in the States, Andy have good reputation (check in this forum). Ask for the Starlight series, is excellent for low light environments

Reaction score
Another option is to hire an electrician (line voltage experience) to run your low voltage cable. Many have the tools and experience to run cable in the walls to the outside where you don’t see the Ethernet.

Here are a few examples.

7409F501-45B4-4240-ABE5-56F67A130307.jpeg E3FB24D2-7AAB-4CD2-99B9-D0DDE8898335.jpeg 8A5E565E-2D69-4155-9576-F78FEADA6540.jpeg 545EF041-0E85-463A-A039-DC0217AE418B.jpeg

alex8828

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It’s been a while I decided to go with poe system all my wire in in place and tested okay. Now I just need to buy the equipment.

alex8828

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Also, can anyone suggest a good mobile app for remote viewing. There are several I been reading about but users seem to have connection problems.

Thanks,
Alex