Outdoor Security Cameras - Need advice (Hikvision purchase)

ShaneHD

n3wb
Reaction score
First post, but not new to the forum. Research and use advise on here constantly. Now its my turn to ask a question!

I need to install outdoor security cameras - IP based via POE. I am about to run 4-6 cat6 cables to various outdoor places around my home. Need to before I have an additional 10" of blown insulation put in. I will be using a
TP-LINK TL-SG1008PE 8-Port Gigabit PoE Switch for all my cameras. I also own BlueIris Software that I've been using for my wifi IP cameras for indoor, but those are about to be cut out (tired of being limited to where I can put them because of power). Frankly, all I need is outdoor anyways.

I've been doing my research on here and like the two following cameras:

[h=1]Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I Outdoor HD 3MP IP Bullet Security Camera 4mm/6mm/12mm[/h]
[h=1]Hikvision DS-2CD2132-I 3MP IR Fixed Focal Dome Camera 2.8mm[/h]
Being new to the outdoor camera setup - should I go with dome or bullet? I like the fact that the bullet has three different fixed lens. Probably will do with one of each (4mm,6mm,12mm).

My next question is US vs China purchases. Looks like I can have these cameras fairly cheap on Amazon, but they all seem to be Chinese made and have issues with firmware upgrades (again, new to these). What do you guys suggest? If I need to purchase the U.S version, WHERE can I buy them and for how much more? Can't seem to this part out.

Having 4-6 3mp POE cameras, what PC/Server resources should I have? How much processor speed? How much RAM?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
Ram - 4 Gig is plenty good, others can help with processor choice, Intel is definitely preferred.

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Both cameras you are looking at are nice. The bullet cams have bug problems at night due to IR placement. You can get around this by going with a turret if you want: http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Original-hikvision-3mp-array-30m-IR-Network-Dome-security-ip-camera-DS-2CD2332-I-support-POE/638300_32414934149.html

Getting the China cameras does mean that you better know what you are doing if looking to perform any firmware changes. I didn't mind so long as the firmware I got was working, Im not looking to make any changes personally. Gonna cost you roughly twice as much for a US region cam as the China region with English firmware in the event you like to tweak your toys.

Rudyjr

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Both cameras you are looking at are nice. The bullet cams have bug problems at night due to IR placement. You can get around this by going with a turret if you want: http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Original-hikvision-3mp-array-30m-IR-Network-Dome-security-ip-camera-DS-2CD2332-I-support-POE/638300_32414934149.html

Getting the China cameras does mean that you better know what you are doing if looking to perform any firmware changes. I didn't mind so long as the firmware I got was working, Im not looking to make any changes personally. Gonna cost you roughly twice as much for a US region cam as the China region with English firmware in the event you like to tweak your toys.
US region 2332 cameras are available through Netview fulfilled by Amazon for 109.99 with a 2 year warranty.

KrazyDawg

n3wb
Reaction score
Does the turret and bullet offer the same night vision distance and viewing angle?

bls

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Does the turret and bullet offer the same night vision distance and viewing angle?
From what I understand, the 2032 Bullet and 3332 Turrent use the same camera module. And I believe you have the same choice of lenses with either one. I have both and recently ordered more of the Bullets as this style is a bit smaller and better suited to how, and where, I plan to use them AND there is either already enough light (or IR) where they will be used or I will be using seperate IR sources for illumination. Otherwise I would have ordered Bullets to avoid the problem of spiders spinning their webs in front of the lens which is a problem when the IR source surrounds the lens. Back to your original question, I've not measured the night vision distance of each one, but have a feeling the turrent may be a bit better. It's a bit hard to tell better than that as my turrents all have a 2.8mm lens and the Bullets all have 4mm. With wide angle lenses like that you'll also end up with the IR concentrated in the center of the image, but this isn't a problem at the front of my house as theirs enough light from street lights to not need any IR illumination from the camera IR led's and I simply leave them turned off. IR illumination is needed in the back yard, but with all the reflected IR bouncing around from a number of cameras and several IR illuminators the overall illumination level ends up being fairly even and the brighter illumination in the center of each image becomes much less noticable.

As for where to buy, some can't resist updating and always having the latest firmware installed, but I see little reason to do this unless having a problem that an update is known to correct but have never had a problem with, or updated. any of my Hikvision cameras and simply buy the less expensive China region with English firmware versions from whichever reputable China dealer has the best price at the moment. I'm not about to provide a list of which I feel are reputable as there are already many recommendations through-out this threads messages and you can easily determine the most popular sources by the number of units a particular seller has sold and by the ratings Aliexpress (or whoever) provides.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Where are you located? If you're in the US then probably best to PM @milkisbad for his LTS equivalents as Aliexpress and Hikvision seems to be a bit iffy at the moment (see other thread).

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Where are you located? If you're in the US then probably best to PM @milkisbad for his LTS equivalents as Aliexpress and Hikvision seems to be a bit iffy at the moment (see other thread).
This. Keep in mind that the 4mp are arriving soon, with improved low light and night vision.

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
This. Keep in mind that the 4mp are arriving soon, with improved low light and night vision.
How much do you think they will go for? are they to data intensive to run on BI PC? thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
How much do you think they will go for? are they to data intensive to run on BI PC? thanks
140...will need more cpu to run over 3mp....but you can simply run the 4mp in 3mp mode but benefit from the low light improvements.