Outdoor/weatherproof POE+ Switch

stevep

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi everyone, after good information from this site I have read up the Cliff notes and am hopefully starting to learn more and more......While I am waiting for cameras and POE Nvr to arrive from Andy, I will do the cable run asap. My main issue is that I do not really want to run all cables(6 at present inc 1xPTZ) into front room of house(large hole in wall). Others have mentioned to use a poe switch which totally makes sense(ie 1 cable through the wall), but for this to work I would need to locate the switch outside!!I think??? Is this possible, do they make weatherproof switches?? Am i missing something with this, what do you guys do? If i was to put switch in garage, some of the cable runs would be 50 metres longer than necessary. Hope i am not asking a dumb question....Many thanks in advance.

SteveP

stevep

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks looney2ns for the prompt response, I will now look for a poe+ switch and enclosure, I am sure I will be back on here soon once I start the connection/installation process, again many thanks for help.

stevep

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Do i need a special poe switch enclosure or will any weatherproof box/enclosure be ok? can i drill holes and use glands to seal cables?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

stevep

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Many thanks again looney2ns, on a different note, i can get some cat6 sheilded cable from a family member, is this ok to use ? does it have to be grounded or can it be used normally?

trucams

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
A poe switch does not “have” to go outside. It can go inside as well. This may take care of the waterproofing aspect. If your cam wires are fished through walls or attic or crawl space, locate them all to a final point where the poe switch is at. Whatever room or inside location you choose (laundry/mud room, garage, etc). If your cam wires are all run along the outside of the house (security aspect aside) perhaps they can be brought inside at one location with a sealed connector such as this and then connected to a poe switch wherever you want to put it?

A21B7F1A-7F21-4E0F-938D-2211C5E33F0F.png

From the switch you would only have to run one wire to your router/computer/nvr, depending on setup.

trucams

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Also, remember that the switch will need a power source. Mounting it outside may have a secondary component of figuring out or installing a power source for it?

stevep

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you for your ideas. I have a POE NVR on its way from Andy. What i am trying to do is preventing running 6-8 cat6 cables(large hole) through the wall into a room in the house....I am thinking of mounting a poe switch outside the house, put it in a weatherproof enclosure, run one cat6 and the power cable through a smaller hole. Does this sound ok to you ? This is what looney2ns has advised so far, and many thanks to him.

trucams

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There is no one only way. You have to do what works best for you and your setup. Putting poe switch outside is definately one option. As stated, it does need independent electrical power. As long as there is electrical at the location you want to put it and you can weatherproof that as well, it will work. The single-wire from the NVR will not (generally) power the poe switch however, nor the cameras plugged into it. There may be some special pass-through poe switch out there, but I don’t know enough to send you in the direction for that... if it even exists. Most folks direct mount the cams or mount a junction box and cams, drilling one hole only big enough to get the one wire through at each mounting location, then pull the wires to one location, rather than pulling all wires to one exterior location and having to drill a bigger hole for a bunch of wires.

Reaction score
i would not put a POE+ switch in a sealed box outside if at all possible. Big concerns would be overheating in the summer, especially if the box is exposed to sunlight. And like has been mentioned already, running AC power to the box to power the switch. Putting it outside adds significant expense, that can be avoided by placement of the switch inside somewhere. Also, is the box out of reach so a vandal can't just smash everything and or cut all the cabling? Security is a concern too. Again, putting as much of the gear inside avoids alot of issues.

stevep

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks weigle2, you make complete sense, i was trying to find a way to not have to run 8 cables into a room through exterior wall(large hole). I am not able to run them into loft etc then get them into the room. Looks like its best to just go with the big hole.