Outdoor wifi camera with recorder

nevillem

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all
I'm new to ip cameras, looking for suggestions of hardware to set up a 2 or 3 camera outdoor system with the following requirements:

• water proof camera/s (IP66 or close)
  • night vision capable
  • movement sensor
  • microphone (not essential)
  • recorder (sited indoors)
  • wireless connection of camera/s to recorder if possible (very difficult to run cables, house is solid brick construction)
  • camera/s and possbily recorder can connect to home WiFi to enable viewing over the internet

Maybe I am asking too much to have all above requirements satisfied but interested to hear your thoughts & suggestions.

SquareEyes

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
How are you planning on powering these wifi cams?

nevillem

n3wb
Reaction score
Good point, didn't think of that. Is it possible to get battery powered cameras ?

SquareEyes

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Almost anything is possible with enough money. I would start by thinking about powering the remote cams.

What kind of distances are you considering?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Good point, didn't think of that. Is it possible to get battery powered cameras ?
yes but they are crap. Have a professional run the cable for you. It will be cheaper.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
Netgear has their Arlo battery powered wi-fi cams. 4 months of motion-detected 720p on a set of batteries, apparently.

thats said, i prefer the reliabilty of wired ethernet connection (vs wi-fi) and you can run the power over that too (PoE).

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Netgear has their Arlo battery powered wi-fi cams. 4 months of motion-detected 720p on a set of batteries, apparently.
Arlo is terrible.
1) Monthly fee for very limited storage
2) Pir motion detection trigger only so you dont get any pretrigger activity and nothing that happens too far from the camera
3) cannot stream 24/7 to live monitor etc
4) no option for 24/7 recording
5) You need to run around changing the batteries every few months..that coupled with Murphy's Law = disaster.
6) easily removed and stolen
It will be cheaper to pay someone to run cable.

nevillem

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for your replies so far, great to get such prompt responses. So looks like I should make the extra effort to run cables, should be able to do that myself with a little extra effort, crawling through the roof & drilling a few holes.

Any suggestions on suitable hardware ?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for your replies so far, great to get such prompt responses. So looks like I should make the extra effort to run cables, should be able to do that myself with a little extra effort, crawling through the roof & drilling a few holes.

Any suggestions on suitable hardware ?
For the cable, do not buy junk CCA/copper clad aluminium - it will not work well and you will have to rerun. Buy the cable from a trusted vendor.
There are lots of threads on the various cameras out there, you need to read them and get some idea of what you need/want.