Overclocking help Blueiris CPU?

JT Blue Iris

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi everybody, thanks for all the great discussions.
I have a BI system with I7-7700 K and I'm constantly having to tweak it to keep the CPU below 100.

Does anybody have experience with overclocking their MB system and running BI?
Also BTW, I just ordered an I7-8700 K system, to throw more hardware at the problem, but the question is the same for it..

I have five HiKVision 8MP and eight 4 megapixel cameras..

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi everybody, thanks for all the great discussions.
I have a BI system with I7-7700 K and I'm constantly having to tweak it to keep the CPU below 100.

Does anybody have experience with overclocking their MB system and running BI?
Also BTW, I just ordered an I7-8700 K system, to throw more hardware at the problem, but the question is the same for it..

I have five HiKVision 8MP and eight 4 megapixel cameras..
you are not setting it up correctly...read the wiki and ensure you dont have a memory leak. overclocking is silly and wasteful..

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
There is no reason you can't overclock a BI system. The question is "should you"? You would be lucky to get a 10% performance gain, and it would certainly cost more than 10% in extra power and heat. You might need to upgrade your cooling in order to keep the temperature under control. And you might also be adding a little instability into the mix. Its not cool to have your NVR freeze or crash randomly, or begin thermal-throttling.

You can run those cameras on an i7-7700K at stock speeds as long as you optimize well enough. Optimizing Blue Iris's CPU Usage | IP Cam Talk The 8700K will let you get away with higher frame rates though. 9th gen might be available as soon as next month with a relatively affordable 8 core + HT + Quick Sync and I'm sure that would do even better. Beyond that, the next upgrade would require jumping to a $1000-2000 CPU with 16+ cores and forgetting about it being efficient.

Also it doesn't matter how well you optimize if you have a bad graphics driver: Memory Leak: Quick Sync (Hardware Acceleration) | IP Cam Talk