P2p secure?

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
Is this as unsafe as port forwarding? I'm guessing it's not recommended as vpn is king. Does p2p fall somewhere in between?

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I thought that the p2p function set up the connection, but the actual data (the video stream in this case) never hits the cloud. Do I have this wrong?

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I thought that the p2p function set up the connection, but the actual data (the video stream in this case) never hits the cloud. Do I have this wrong?
The issue is you are trusting these camera companies (mainly Chinese) to implement proper security controls and they have shown time and time again they can't be trusted to do so. Who knows how they have programmed the P2P function "behind the scenes". That is reason enough never to port forward directly to a camera in my mind.

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Many brands like nest, ring, etc do not allow you to store your video locally. You scan the qr code to enable the p2p and you are up and running. Weeks or months of your footage are in China or wherever.

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks all. I really have almost no need to remote view anymore so nvr is not port forwarded.