PAL vs NTSC (US)

ShaneHD

n3wb
Reaction score
I am trying to narrow down a couple of Dahua varifocal Starlight cameras, but all I can find are PAL. For a home security system, does it matter on PAL vs NTSC in the US?

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If they're IP cameras and you're pulling video over the network (and not a direct video out cable from the camera itself), it doesn't matter much, IMO.

If it's the 5321 turret, the latest firmware comes in both PAL or NTSC versions. So you can update to whatever. I ran PAL for the first month or two, and then switched to NTSC, and I haven't noticed any difference.

ShaneHD

n3wb
Reaction score
That's the exact camera I'm looking at, but the website only lists the PAL version for sale. So I can buy it and run the NTSC firmware update and it will be just fine?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
That is correct. You can buy the PAL version and install NTSC firmware on it later.

PAL has slightly different sub-stream resolution choices, which is honestly of very little importance. PAL also is limited to 25 or 50 FPS where NTSC does 30 or 60 FPS. Also of very little importance. Sub stream 2 on the starlights has a 1280x720 resolution option regardless of PAL or NTSC firmware, so I stick with NTSC firmware on mine so I can run that sub stream at 30 FPS. I use it for an always-on live view monitor so the extra frames lend a tad more smoothness.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There is a non-varifocal version of the Starlight turret. I forget the model number, but if you look at the pinned Starlight thread at the top of the Dahua forum, it should have all of the Starlights listed.

Might be worth having one varifocal around, you can use it to test out mounting locations for future cameras and play with the zoom to get an idea for what fixed lens (non varifocal) would work best there.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
You can shave off a few $ with another seller who will ship via e-packet or similar instead of DHL. But yes that is the camera everyone is crazy for these days.

The fixed lens 2mp starlights are a good $30-$40 cheaper however they don't take in as much light as the varifocal which makes them somewhat less effective. Everything is a tradeoff :)