Panasonic firmware upgrade fail

gordo

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I seem to have bricked my Panasonic wvsc-385 camera during a firmware update. It stopped in the middle of upgrade, and now I can't access the camera with the default ip address, the address I had set, or the latest configuration tool.I have tried the inital set button several times, hold the button, then applying power for more than 5 seconds, then releasing the reset button.
The green link light comes on and stays on and the orange access light blinks randomly, like something is accessing it.After using the initial set button, I have waited 20 minutes to overnight with no luck.
I am powering it by poe, which has worked with the camera since new, about 2years.I have no power supply for it. The three lights on the poe switch shows it as powered up and connected. I have just the camera and computer connected to the switch to eliminate any other conflict.
I have tried the ip address I set before the upgrade, 192.168.1.79, and the default ip 192.168.0.253 and 192.168.0.10 with no results. I can't ping it either.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

justadude

n3wb
Reaction score
I've reset a few Panasonic cameras and from what I've seen it always defaults to DHCP. I assume you are just connecting it to a regular switch with no DHCP server to test? Try connecting it to a network with DHCP and see what happens. Another thing I noticed when using the Panasonic tool to search for the camera that I just reset, it seems to like getting a X.X.X.10 address after it hits the DHCP server. Not sure if it was a coincidence or by design.

I've also tried setting up a new Panasonic camera out of the box on a segregated network with no DHCP server and had no luck trying to connect to it, which leads me to believe this might be your problem. I had to switch it to another network with DHCP to set it up initially, set it to static, then switch it back to the segregated network.

I haven't bricked one yet but I always get a little scared when updating Panasonic firmware. I've had one update fail on me mid way and almost crapped myself, but luckily it still worked and updated on my second attempt.

gordo

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
justadude, thanks but no luck yet. DHCP is enabled on the router. I have connected the switch to the router and camera and reset several times.
I was hoping to find another way to install/force the firmware onto the camera, like the Hikvision tftp method.

LittleScoobyMaster

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I seem to have bricked my Panasonic wvsc-385 camera during a firmware update. It stopped in the middle of upgrade, and now I can't access the camera with the default ip address, the address I had set, or the latest configuration tool.I have tried the inital set button several times, hold the button, then applying power for more than 5 seconds, then releasing the reset button.
The green link light comes on and stays on and the orange access light blinks randomly, like something is accessing it.After using the initial set button, I have waited 20 minutes to overnight with no luck.
I am powering it by poe, which has worked with the camera since new, about 2years.I have no power supply for it. The three lights on the poe switch shows it as powered up and connected. I have just the camera and computer connected to the switch to eliminate any other conflict.
I have tried the ip address I set before the upgrade, 192.168.1.79, and the default ip 192.168.0.253 and 192.168.0.10 with no results. I can't ping it either.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Holy SchmittBalls! That's the same camera I have.

I hope they didn't release a bad firmware update. This is what I am running on mine and I just updated it about 2 months ago:

1 Application: 2.10
2 Driver: 1.56
3 Image data: 1.16
4 IPL version 1.0

What version were you upgrading to?

So if the camera defaulted to use DHCP, and you have the camera hooked up directly to the switch which does not have a DHCP server running, what IP address will the camera give itself? Perhaps the default 192.168.0.10, but perhaps not. Is your PC on the same subnet?

If your PC that is on the same switch is still running with a 192.168.1.xxx address, you won't be able to see a 192.168.0.xxx address without changing the IP address of your PC first to 192.168.0.xxx to match the same subnet of the camera.

Last edited by a moderator:

gordo

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
LittleScoobyMaster, I had version 1.61 and first tried the latest, 213E. It didn't update, so I tried the next one up from my current firmware, 180E, which caused the problem.My original firmware was 146E and I had done a few updates over the past 2 years with no problem.
I can't connect to the camera at all. I have switched the computer subnet to 192.168.0.xxx and back to 192.168.1.xxx and can't see/connect to the camera. I have also isolated the switch/camera/computer using both subnets on the computer with no luck. I then tried adding the router with no luck.
The camera when powered still goes through the warm up tilting movement, with the lights working, I just can't connect or see it with the Panasonic tool or web browser or Advanced IP scanner.

gordo

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
No luck with onvif device manager v2.2.250. :miserable:

justadude

n3wb
Reaction score
If it can't get a network address then I'm not sure what else you can do :(

gordo

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
justadude, I'm afraid it's starting to look like I might need to send it out for repair.. I'll mess around with it a little longer before I start looking for a repair shop.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
justadude, I'm afraid it's starting to look like I might need to send it out for repair.. I'll mess around with it a little longer before I start looking for a repair shop.
Unless you have a particular special use for that camera its not worth repairing at all. It would be cheaper to buy a replacement that would perform better.

gordo

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Unless you have a particular special use for that camera its not worth repairing at all. It would be cheaper to buy a replacement that would perform better.
Fenderman, I was thinking the same thing. I have the Huisun mini ptz too, The Huisun might have a better image, but the panasonic was outside in a dome that didn't get cleaned a lot, so I'm not sure. To me, the panasonic software is much more reliable and responsive, and the pan is much faster. The hardware is fine I believe, the firmware failure is probably my fault.
Anyone have any ideas on how much it would/should cost to have the firmware reinstalled?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Fenderman, I was thinking the same thing. I have the Huisun mini ptz too, The Huisun might have a better image, but the panasonic was outside in a dome that didn't get cleaned a lot, so I'm not sure. To me, the panasonic software is much more reliable and responsive, and the pan is much faster. The hardware is fine I believe, the firmware failure is probably my fault.
Anyone have any ideas on how much it would/should cost to have the firmware reinstalled?
If its just a firmware issue then it shouldnt be more than 50-100 dollars. But some of the authorized repair places charge a fortune. You are better off trying to find someone with technical expertise with ip cams who my be able to resolve it a fair price.

stevek314

n3wb
Reaction score
LittleScoobyMaster, I had version 1.61 and first tried the latest, 213E. It didn't update, so I tried the next one up from my current firmware, 180E, which caused the problem.My original firmware was 146E and I had done a few updates over the past 2 years with no problem.
I can't connect to the camera at all. I have switched the computer subnet to 192.168.0.xxx and back to 192.168.1.xxx and can't see/connect to the camera. I have also isolated the switch/camera/computer using both subnets on the computer with no luck. I then tried adding the router with no luck.
The camera when powered still goes through the warm up tilting movement, with the lights working, I just can't connect or see it with the Panasonic tool or web browser or Advanced IP scanner.
I know this is old thread - butbhad recent issues.

Camera worked fine, and then it didn't. Got a message on web browser that the cam was in safe mode and I needed to update network firmware. I could see video image, but no control.

The update process failed time multiple times. Session would time out or browser would go blank. I tried older versions. Just in case. No luck.

After struggling to get this working. I decided to look for a factory reset button, found the dip switches on bottom where some were shifted to partial positions - not all clearly on or off. So I moved them all to off position (towards center of camera).

I rebooted and system started and all worked fine. We must have bumped switches. Ren updates now and it all worked.

Hope thise helpes others