Passive Injector/Splitter concerns

Olddawg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
In the process of replacing Foscam cameras with Dahua cameras with POE and POE Switch but short term I need use what I have. I want to relocate the Foscam I am replacing to another location and don't want to invest in adding a 120VAC box near the relocated Foscam camera since I will be going with Dahua POE long term. Has anyone used the Passive POE injector/splitter devices to provide power to a Non POE camera. My main concern is I don't want to risk damaging the other devices on the Unmanaged Gigabit Switch?

upload_2018-9-17_13-47-43.png

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have used these with no issues with non-POE switch, 12VDC up to 100 feet of solid copper to a similar IP cam. These are sized for the typical 12VDC (5.5mm outside x 2.1mm inside). Since some (indoor?) Foscams are 5VDC, these are also available in that size (I believe 3.5mm outside x 1.35mm inside).

cam-mount-5_sm.jpg

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Olddawg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks Tony. The Foscam FI9900P is actually 12VDC .

Olddawg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have used these with no issues with non-POE switch, 12VDC up to 100 feet of solid copper to a similar IP cam. These are sized for the typical 12VDC (5.5mm outside x 2.1mm inside). Since some (indoor?) Foscams are 5VDC, these are also available in that size (I believe 3.5mm outside x 1.35mm inside).
Tony, Thanks for the link for the Passive Splitter. Order and it works great on relocating the Foscam camera. I ended up with about a 75 foot run of Cat5e solid copper and had no issues. Sure beat having to run a service for a wall wart.

Olddawg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
In the process of replacing Foscam cameras with Dahua cameras with POE and POE Switch but short term I need use what I have. I want to relocate the Foscam I am replacing to another location and don't want to invest in adding a 120VAC box near the relocated Foscam camera since I will be going with Dahua POE long term. Has anyone used the Passive POE injector/splitter devices to provide power to a Non POE camera. My main concern is I don't want to risk damaging the other devices on the Unmanaged Gigabit Switch?

View attachment 33334
Tony, Maybe I spoke too soon on these working. I am seeing a lot of "No Signal" on the Foscam FI9900P I relocated with 75' of Cat5e solid core copper and these adapters. Checking the power, I had 12 volts without the camera connected. I don't have a good way of checking with camera connected. I had 43 "No Signals" last night. It doesn't appear as often during the day, so I am wondering if the heavier load with IR is causing to occur more at night The camera currently has a 1 amp power supply so I am thinking about trying a 2 amp power supply? It is maybe the camera, it is about 3 years old and I have been getting some intermittent distorted images at night when IR was on but no issues with No Signal until I relocated. Before Fenderman comments, I know it is a crap camera. :)

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Olddawg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Unfortunately the Foscam FI9900P is not POE so I need the 12VDC at the camera. I switched to a a 2 amp power supply and so far no problems today, but it usually doesn't start having problems until evening when the IR kicks in. I won't invest too much more time on this old Foscam. I will replace it with a IPC-HDW2231R-ZS 2MP and a POE switch.