Passive POE injectors

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
just wanted to verify, if you have a POE injector that say goes up to 15 watts and you plug in something that only uses 8.5, will is hurt your device or will the device just only use what it needs? I know the passive devices are kinda dumb.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Devices only use what they need. So a 15 watt power supply can supply up to 15 watts, but can also deliver less. Volts however are rarely interchangeable.
yeah I figure this is the case, I know devices only draw as many AMPS as they need so I wasn't sure.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Griff, your midspan will do the same as well....

View attachment 17759

SD
correct, but my midspan is loud as fuck and I've got no where to hide it, it's as loud as the AC, and I played around with it, most of the reason is because there is electronics like right in front of the fans, if you pull them out they are fairly quiet. I have no attic, no basement, and my house isn't that big you can pretty much hear the damn thing from everywhere lol so I was thinking about just getting another POE+ injector for my ultra bullet, I've got one for my PTZ, and I still have some ports left on my little 8 port POE injector, the one thing it would be nice to have is a 24 port fanless switch, which I think actually exist lol.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
and the quiet fans I ordered from amazon with all of the different connectors they have, do not have the correct ones for the midspan and I don't wanna try to spice wires together, the wires are tiny as hell and I don't have a soldering iron or anything so it's like, midspan becoming more trouble than it's worth lol.

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It is loud, but I have mine in the basement next to the managed switch, furnace fans, dehumidifier and tower(server), so it blends in. Basically in my office so I'm used to the noise.

You looking to sell it then?

SD

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
It is loud, but I have mine in the basement next to the managed switch, furnace fans, dehumidifier and tower(server), so it blends in. Basically in my office so I'm used to the noise.

You looking to sell it then?

SD
was just thinking about that, since I already bought it and have it, I think I'm gonna keep it in case I have a better set up at some point, I won't live here forever lol. But I'm probably not going to use it right now. I can get another POE+ injector and I'll be covered for now, what I am on the look out for is a fanless 24port switch, I believe such a thing exists.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
V=IR
P=IV=V^2/R

Think about incandescent light bulbs, if the fixture says 100W max, there's not problem putting a 40W bulb in.