Patch Panel or Direct Cabling to Switch

Barboots

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm cabling my new system today and have two options regarding the CAT connections to the switch. One is to directly connect RJ45s to the cam feeds and plug them straight into the switch. The other is to use some 5E keystone wall plates I already have, then use patch leads between them and the switch. Obviously the first arrangement has a more professional look, and it's not costing more than a handful of bucks extra for patch leads. However it creates more connections, and I can't envisage it offers any benefit operationally. The system is under the house, well out of view.

What do you think? Any discussion appreciated.

Cheers, Steve

Mr_D

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I use these wall-mount patch panels at home: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UVQI8B6/

I work in IT and hate seeing cords coming out of the wall/ceiling and straight into a switch. It says "Cousin Larry did this on a the cheap" and just isn't professional. Solid-conductor cable is meant to be punched down and not touched after that. Using patch cords makes it easier to move stuff around without coming up a foot short.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The point about solid is extremely valid. I'll use the wall plates I have on hand.

Cheers, Steve
Remember to leave some slack cable in the walls / attic in case you need to change the mount to a patch panel.

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Networking, I used both, solid till the patch in case of racks, and stranded to the units if wall mounted (pc's, etc.) units, it makes no difference. What I tried to avoid is the female-to-female cat extensions.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
sorry @Barboots, I was thinking in the patch panels. It looks like the photo is for European wall plates, not necessarily fitting into our conventional 1-gang box, except if you are mounting into a drywall board. Normally the keystone patching module takes considerable space, to be mounted inside a metal/plastic box. Take a look at the AliExpress or Amazon products

6 ports CAT5 female to female RJ45 network wall plate-in Extension Socket from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
yes mat200, you need to be careful buying at Monoprice. Depending on the product, sometimes the quality is so-so. Remember Monoprice re-brand the same products available at AliExpress or similar. I normally purchase from Monoprice the economical A/V Switches, specially the Blackbird series. Always read the customer reviews first

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@Barboots

I like having both the inexpensive tool eggsan mentioned here as well as a pricier punch down tool:
( this is just as an example of one w/the 110 bit )
Punch-Down Impact Tool for 110/88 Type - Monoprice.com

Barboots, if buying the patch panel, in case you don't have one, remember to include a punch down tool. Included find an inexpensive one shown here:

Urijk Mini Pocket Portable Wire Stripper Knife Crimper Pliers Crimping Tool Cable Stripping Wire Cutter Crimpatrice Tool Parts-in Pliers from Tools on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes, mat200, is important to have both. If the connector is mounted inside a much larger board, I prefer the simple punch, instead of the mechanical action spring, since the impact for cutting the cable could put extra pressure in the board itself. Then I cut the excess cables with a micro-plier.

Barboots

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Timezone difference... just woke up.

The small domestic patch panel I pictured is an Australian style product... this one by Clipsal. The surround is somewhat universal and will accept almost anything from f-type coax, RCA, binding post and the most regularly used lighting switch mechs. There are always at least two thickness mounting blocks available for for where a cavity is limited or non-existent.

I have the correct Krone tool for punching down.

Cheers, Steve

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm cousin larry and I run the solid wires with rj45s straight into the switch. The switch is in the crawl space and the slack cable is just coiled up, lying on the ground. Butt ugly, and nobody but me ever sees it.
LOL @tigerwillow1, My internals are like that too and NOBODY ever sees them.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I've come across more failure in patch panels than in direct cabling to switches. Could have just been a coincidence from my view because a lot of folks running patch panels don't take much care of them. Always a loose connection or collection of dust which interferes with a stable connection.

Direct cabling can be tidied but needs to be given tender-loving care, or else you'll have a mess going through various cables.

IMO, I feel that one can achieve a clean look with both types of setups. Depends on preference, simplicity, and environment.