Path of Totality

molimelight

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am in the path of totality for tomorrow's eclipse and I want to set my cameras to record from inception to totality to end. Don't worry, I won't be pointing them at the sun. :) Is there any other way to do it other than setting an event for each camera for the specific time period, say for a group to do what I want for that time period?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
You could increase the manual recording time limit and then turn on manual recording for all the cameras you want to record during the eclipse, then turn off manual recording when it is over.

molimelight

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
bp2008, thanks for the suggestion. I've played around with the event settings some and I can preset them for the following schedule that I'll use and then just enable the event recording tomorrow. I set the cameras that I want to record, to record starting 45 minutes on either side of totality. I figure this will be enough to show the full effect of total eclipse. I've got about 4 terabytes of disk space so I'm not worried about the recording size. I can always edit them down afterward. It will be interesting to see if the IR kicks in on any of them.

11:45:35 AM - Start of Partial Eclipse
12:30:00 PM - Start Recording
01:12:16 PM - Start of Total Eclipse
01:14:49 PM - End of Total Eclipse
02:00:00 PM - Stop Recording
02:40:04 PM - End of Partial Eclipse

I'll post some frame grabs if it's dramatic enough.

Last edited:

molimelight

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I thought I'd go ahead and post these. In person it was pretty dramatic. It's a really odd feeling to look up and see a big black disc where the sun should be. The temperature drops dramatically and the cicadas start up and the birds get active. These frame grabs are from a Dahua 3MP camera I have pointed at the small rental house I have on my property. It's mounted on my shop building. Don't worry no one is living there now. :D I'll take it down when it's rented! As you can see it got really dark in totality and the IR kicked in on the Dahua. If you're anywhere near where the next total eclipse will be, it's worth the effort to experience it.

Totality minus 5 seconds.jpg
Totality.jpg