Patio Install

harleyl7

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
First time running cable outside. Think I did okay with the infrastructure.

Only problem is the camera gets power and turns on, but no data. So now gotta go check all the connections. signal-2021-06-11-204741%20(3).jpgsignal-2021-06-11-204741%20(2).jpg

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
First time running cable outside. Think I did okay with the infrastructure.
Nice. You could place cardboard behind those conduits and condulet while you spray matching paint; it'll lengthen the life of that PVC a bit, especially those straps, I can't tell but insure those horizontal runs are supported at least every 4 feet, it'll help with sagging over time.

Only problem is the camera gets power and turns on, but no data. So now gotta go check all the connections.
Yep, good next step.
Did you test and set up the cam on the bench for you mounted it?
Hopefully you terminated to T-568B both ends and have even a cheap tester.

T568B_RJ45_pinout.jpgtester1.jpg

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

harleyl7

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Nice. You could place cardboard behind those conduits and condulet while you spray matching paint; it'll lengthen the life of that PVC a bit, especially those straps, I can't tell but insure those horizontal runs are supported at least every 4 feet, it'll help with sagging over time.

Yep, good next step.

View attachment 92155
Oh I didn't even think about painting the conduit. I have a big weeping willow that blocks all the stuff from the street.

Yeah, definitely did T56B. Yeah, camera works on the test bench.

The run starts at my Poe switch then it goes into my attic, down a wall where it plugs into a female to female plug. Then I drill out from the house. The camera works directly plugged into the switch.

I think the problem is one of my connections. I need to get a cheap tester down the line. But, once it goes outside of my house it changes to cat5e from cat6. Shouldn't be a problem though. But I know once I go from cat6 to cat5e it stops working.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Sounds like a bad connector somewhere to me. Without a basic testers you're going to have to guess or do them all until you find the dud.

harleyl7

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Sounds like a bad connector somewhere to me. Without a basic testers you're going to have to guess or do them all until you find the dud.
I've tested all the cat6 ends by using the camera to test. It works until I switch to 5e. So has to be on of those.. I hope.

Kameraad

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
My brother recently bought this one for me: Noyafa 8601W. It also tells you the cable length, of each single wire, which can safe you a lot of hassle!

Reaction score
Oh I didn't even think about painting the conduit. I have a big weeping willow that blocks all the stuff from the street.

Yeah, definitely did T56B. Yeah, camera works on the test bench.

The run starts at my Poe switch then it goes into my attic, down a wall where it plugs into a female to female plug. Then I drill out from the house. The camera works directly plugged into the switch.

I think the problem is one of my connections. I need to get a cheap tester down the line. But, once it goes outside of my house it changes to cat5e from cat6. Shouldn't be a problem though. But I know once I go from cat6 to cat5e it stops working.

hopefully you added dielectric grease to the connection? Added protection for the brass pins themselves even if they will never see the sun/rain....humidity will win eventually.

harleyl7

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
hopefully you added dielectric grease to the connection? Added protection for the brass pins themselves even if they will never see the sun/rain....humidity will win eventually.
Never even heard of doing that. So learned something new. When I fix the connections I'll grease them

Reaction score
Never even heard of doing that. So learned something new. When I fix the connections I'll grease them

It's hard to say if dielectric grease is a MUST HAVE for outdoor installations. For the price tag of a little bottle, the time involved to apply it (5 seconds), and the benefits... it certainly is a "doesnt hurt" thing.
All my cameras have dielectric grease (15+ outdoors) for that reasoning.

harleyl7

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It's hard to say if dielectric grease is a MUST HAVE for outdoor installations. For the price tag of a little bottle, the time involved to apply it (5 seconds), and the benefits... it certainly is a "doesnt hurt" thing.
All my cameras have dielectric grease (15+ outdoors) for that reasoning.
Thanks for the heads up. Picking up a small bottle today! Seems like a no brained to add it. I only have to add it to my sotiff install and this one I just set up.

Reaction score
does look like properly done installation. I would of prefered EMT metal conduit and then painted to match. But many folks find PVC easier to work with and cheaper.
Looks good. Water tight connections sure do look...tight!
Why didn't you run the horizontal PVC pathway a couple inches above the ground instead of waist high? Easier to hide / less eye sore.

harleyl7

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
does look like properly done installation. I would of prefered EMT metal conduit and then painted to match. But many folks find PVC easier to work with and cheaper.
Looks good. Water tight connections sure do look...tight!
Why didn't you run the horizontal PVC pathway a couple inches above the ground instead of waist high? Easier to hide / less eye sore.
Went waist level because it was a bit easier and there's a ton of stuff there that block it.
This house has like three different cable companies install stuff. My goal is to put a junction box out here with a unifi flex and then run more along the ground to my backyard for my cameras. signal-2021-06-11-204741%20(1).jpg

harleyl7

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
oh ok..yes..there we go. Looks good since you have other stuff in that area.
Next project...hide that pinched coaxial :)
Lol yeah, I'm probably gonna remove that coaxial. When I moved in they had multiple runs across the house. That goes to my master, and I don't understand why they didn't run it up into the attic like the rest of them and then down the wall.
That one is actually covered in my master room. I drywalled over it. One of the other lines running into the house I cut inside the attic and redirect it to my server rack as my main line.

But fiber is getting installed now in the neighborhood. So no idea how that works when I switch.

Reaction score
I have to replace my cheap tester and am ordering this one. Still not up there with the "big boys" but a lot more functionality at a reasonable cost.

Ok. So I just bought this tester and received it yesterday. I've found for POE testing, it isn't all that sophisticated. It's not able to test the POE requirements of say a camera, unless the camera is powered by an external power supply. And, it can't test a POE Injector either. I guess I need to play with it more. Haven't tested any cabling yet, or used the toner to identify cables. Will be doing that later in the week.

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score

Yep, good next step.

View attachment 92155View attachment 92156
i have that same cheap tester. works great.