PC clock and BI clock not in sync

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Perhaps it's mentioned elsewhere, but I've been unable to find it. The BI PC system clock is about 1 minute faster than the overlay timestamp on the individual cameras. Does the BI server use a different clock/server than the OS? Any ideas what could be causing the discrepancy?

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Been problems with the clocks for cams staying in sync in the past. What version of BI are you running?

MikeyOnline

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Checked mine for grins. PC clock and BI stamp clock are accurate to the second. Windows 10. BI 4.3.0.9.

Mike

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I upgraded to the latest moments ago, and still have the cams on BI showing 1'15" faster than the system clock!

Last edited by a moderator:

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just so it is more clear, you are saying that the Windows OS clock in the bottom right of the task bar is running a full 1 minute 15 seconds slower than the time being displayed in your live view within BI that you setup in BI as overlays? Or are the times in your camera views being displayed from each camera independant of BI (meaning you set them up from the camera web interface)?

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I'm actually posting this on behalf of my dad's BI setup. He'll probably chime in here. The attached screen shot is of his system and is of the LIVE console view. I've drawn a red box around the system clock (very top left corner) and the enlarged time-overlay on one of the cameras (first top left camera).

To answer your question, yes, the system OS clock is running SLOWER than the BI time stamp. The clock in the top left corner mirrors the OS time (in the task tray bottom right corner). The overlay on each camera is put there by BI, not the cameras themselves. All of the cameras use the same overlay template in BI, and all the time values are synced perfectly between the cameras. It's just that they run a minute faster than the OS.

It makes no sense, as I can't seem to find any option in BI that would allow BI to pull time from anything - so I assume it gets its time code from the OS.

All of my own BI servers (I have four of them running at various locations) are synced to the second between the BI overlay and each PC's OS time.

Just so it is more clear, you are saying that the Windows OS clock in the bottom right of the task bar is running a full 1 minute 15 seconds slower than the time being displayed in your live view within BI that you setup in BI as overlays? Or are the times in your camera views being displayed from each camera independant of BI (meaning you set them up from the camera web interface)?

Attachments

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Certainly odd. I know a number of version back now (maybe late version 4.0.XX) there were individuals who experienced some cameras being out of sync with other cameras while using the BI overlay. But that problem seemed to have been resolved some time ago. Yours is the first I have seen that the entire BI setup is out of sync with the OS clock, but all camera overlays line up with one another. Also, you said you did an upgrade to it just today which would have required a restart of BI to apply the update, so that takes the reboot and see off the table (maybe try this any way?). I think you might be best to email support to see if Ken can offer any insight. I am not aware of anywhere in BI to set the time as I always thought the same as you, BI uses the OS time.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Yes, I recall those syncing issues from months ago. It was about the time that Ken started to implement the RTSP time codes from the cameras. Those gremlins struck my installations too. But in those cases, it never affected all of the cameras at the same time - and any cameras that were out of sync, they were SLOWER, not faster than the system time.

dcampbe1

n3wb
Reaction score
I just rebooted the BI server to no avail. The BI cams are all 1'15"+ faster that the OS clock.

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So where is the clock in the top left coming from? There must be other software that is being run for that time to be published where it is in the screen capture since that is not a normal location for the Windows clock.

dcampbe1

n3wb
Reaction score
That clock is from a program called Qlock which I've constantly checked against the system clock and is not the problem. I just realized that I've been comparing that clock (and OS clock) from my work machine and not from the BI server machine. DUH! Sure enough, the BI server clock was precisely 1'15+" fast. PROBLEM SOLVED.

My apologies to my son and all those who have earnestly tried to help find a solution. But many thanks to all for that effort.

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So all is good and BI is keeping time with the machine that it is running on then?

MikeyOnline

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That clock is from a program called Qlock which I've constantly checked against the system clock and is not the problem. I just realized that I've been comparing that clock (and OS clock) from my work machine and not from the BI server machine. DUH! Sure enough, the BI server clock was precisely 1'15+" fast. PROBLEM SOLVED.

My apologies to my son and all those who have earnestly tried to help find a solution. But many thanks to all for that effort.
Good deal. I'm actually doing a bit of a forehead slap as I should have thought of that. :) I was going to post the other day saying... are you sure that the clock you are looking at is the OS time? Because I'm pretty sure BI would use a Windows API to grab the OS clock and that can't differ. Never thought about the actual server being a different machine. Glad you got it sorted.

Mike

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
That's funny. I specifically asked dad if that clock and the OS clock were in sync. Never dawned on me to make sure he was looking at the BI server clock and not the remote PC he was using to log into the BI server (via TeamViewer). Doohh!