PC for SightHound + BlueIris + MJPEG Streams?

Reaction score
I'm thinking about buying a PC to run both SightHound and BlueIris. Has anyone done this? I have 6 cameras mostly hikvision, dahua and a vivotek fisheye.

I want to use SightHound for people detection alerts, BlueIris for 24/7 recording and as a server to get an MJPEG stream of each camera through blueiris. I use something called ActionTiles.com for a home automation dashboard and you can embedded MJPEG streams to show live camera feeds along side IOT devices.

So this one PC would have BI, SightHound + a chrome browser running 24/7. There also may be other tablets or TVs that would be pulling an MJPEG stream from blueiris. I'm not sure if each devices adds additional load?

I've read the PC guide but I'm not sure if I should go for an i5 6500 or an i7?

Reaction score
I recommend getting the more powerful of the cpus since you will be running both BI and sighthound, usually the difference in cpu cost between and i5 and i7 is small compared to the cost of a system and often you get twice the computing power because they double the number of cores (get double) or threads(get less than double). The i7-8700 looks nice.
I am interested in your experiences in running BI and Sighthound together as I would like to do something similar. It would be nice if both functionalities were integrated so you would not have to double the network bandwidth used and streaming load on the cameras, just pull one HD stream.

pmcross

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I am running this very setup- BI and Sighthound on one machine. I have 10 cameras, (5 1080p, 1 720p 1 4k, 1 4mp and 2 3mp cameras), 4 that Sighthound triggers BI when a person is detected. I bought a refurbished HP Z420 with a 10 core Xeon E5-2690 V2 CPU with hyper threading and 64 GB of RAM. I am also running a few VM's in VMware Workstation Pro and average around 30% CPU utilization. I highly recommenced the HP Z420 even though the Xeon processors don't leverage Intel Quick Sync.