PC Monitor via a Secondary Switch?

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I want to hook up my portable monitor from a building other than the building that contains my computer. The two buildings each contain a switch and will be connected to each other via a single fiber cable. So i started looking for cables or converters that would convert HDMI data so it could be carried over Ethernet. Was not finding much before it occurred to me that maybe that isn't possible?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I want to hook up my portable monitor from a building other than the building that contains my computer. The two buildings each contain a switch and will be connected to each other via a single fiber cable. So i started looking for cables or converters that would convert HDMI data so it could be carried over Ethernet. Was not finding much before it occurred to me that maybe that isn't possible?
Amazon.com: hdmi over tcp ip

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Normally I'd read the manual before purchasing something like that but they're hard find.

HDMI over TCP/IP devices should work but might require some fancy tricks on your switches depending on how the devices work / what you can/can't configure.
HDBase-T devices are probably more common but iirc, it isn't compatible with ethernet networks (non-routable).

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
might be cheaper and more reliable to just get another NVR, even if its not recording or just a limited backup.. perhaps a low end hardware nvr.

otherwise mebe a windows stick w/remote desktop?

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
might be cheaper and more reliable to just get another NVR, even if its not recording or just a limited backup.. perhaps a low end hardware nvr.

otherwise mebe a windows stick w/remote desktop?
I can still access my computer and the main hard drive wirelessly, using my laptop. I all ready have BI loaded on it for remote operation. I thought it might be necessary now and then to be hardwired.