PC Monitor via a Secondary Switch?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Mike K, Jan 1, 2017.

Share This Page

1. Mike K

Mike K Getting the hang of it

I want to hook up my portable monitor from a building other than the building that contains my computer. The two buildings each contain a switch and will be connected to each other via a single fiber cable. So i started looking for cables or converters that would convert HDMI data so it could be carried over Ethernet. Was not finding much before it occurred to me that maybe that isn't possible?

2. fenderman

fenderman Staff Member

Amazon.com: hdmi over tcp ip

Mike K likes this.
  3. tangent

tangent Getting comfortable

Normally I'd read the manual before purchasing something like that but they're hard find.

HDMI over TCP/IP devices should work but might require some fancy tricks on your switches depending on how the devices work / what you can/can't configure.
    HDBase-T devices are probably more common but iirc, it isn't compatible with ethernet networks (non-routable).

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
  4. nayr

nayr Known around here

might be cheaper and more reliable to just get another NVR, even if its not recording or just a limited backup.. perhaps a low end hardware nvr.

otherwise mebe a windows stick w/remote desktop?

5. Mike K

Mike K Getting the hang of it

I can still access my computer and the main hard drive wirelessly, using my laptop. I all ready have BI loaded on it for remote operation. I thought it might be necessary now and then to be hardwired.