PC-NVR Error Message > Failed to allocate disk space

rjp1267

n3wb
Reaction score
I am setting up PC-NVR using the online user manual as my guide, and when trying to setup the drive to which recordings will be stored (external usb 3.0 500gb hard drive) I get an error message "failed to allocate disk space", can anyone advise what might be the problem and how to resolve.

Since the systems warns that all files on the disk will be deleted I can not use any internal drives which is why I chose to test the setup using an external drive. As an FYI I get the same issue when trying to use a 64gb usb 3.1 jump drive as well.

Any help will be greatly appreciated,

PC-NVR-V3.0

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
On the internal drive, create a partition to use for PC-NVR recordings, then you can allocate the new partition without wiping out everything.
A USB drive is not a good choice to use for video surveillance.
In most case's, PC-NVR is not reliable, no matter how you set it up.

rjp1267

n3wb
Reaction score
On the internal drive, create a partition to use for PC-NVR recordings, then you can allocate the new partition without wiping out everything.
A USB drive is not a good choice to use for video surveillance.
In most case's, PC-NVR is not reliable, no matter how you set it up.
Thanks for the feedback, I am reluctant to use my current internal drives just in case something goes awry (even with a partition) but may put a test drive in to try it out if external arent going to work. Also the jump drive and even the external HDD are just being used for proof of concept with the end goal of hosting on a separate box and possibly as a VM instance but havent finalized that plan yet. Since you mentioned that PC-NVR isnt reliable/stable what would you recommend as an alternative? I am also currently testing Agent (formerly iSpy), and ZoneMinder as well so any feedback is appreciated. Thanks again for your response.