PC using Blue Iris

kronicnz

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey..

I see specs around that internet that specify using intel i7 to drive the cameras.. Can anyone give me an idea on how many cameras I maybe able to successfully run on a pc with Intel Skylake Core i5 6500 3.2Ghz with 16gig ram?

Thanks

00Buck

Known around here
Reaction score
I have 9 running on a core i5 4590 with 8 gig ram, motion recording with hardware acceleration it uses just over 20% cpu most of the time.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey..

I see specs around that internet that specify using intel i7 to drive the cameras.. Can anyone give me an idea on how many cameras I maybe able to successfully run on a pc with Intel Skylake Core i5 6500 3.2Ghz with 16gig ram?

Thanks
Its not simply the number of cameras, its the resolution and frame rate as well as other factors...why dont you tell us how many cameras and which ones you plan to run...

kronicnz

n3wb
Reaction score
I am looking at running Hikvision DS-2CD2342WD-I EXIR 4MP. Not sure on the exact amount at this stage, guessing around 6, no more than 8... looking whether we can use existing pc...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am looking at running Hikvision DS-2CD2342WD-I EXIR 4MP. Not sure on the exact amount at this stage, guessing around 6, no more than 8... looking whether we can use existing pc...
A vms should be run on a dedicated pc..if you want to dedicate your existing pc, its easy to test...make sure you set the cameras to record direct to disk in blue iris as well as enable hardware acceleration. Also you must enter the license key, the demo will not support direct to disk.
If you have not purchased your cameras, look at the dahua startlight turret thread, a much better camera than the hikvision...particularly in low light and at night.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Hey..

Thanks
There are a lot of factors, if you run max bitrate, constant bitrate, how many fps per camera you are going to do, what mp cameras you will be running. on an i7 the fastest one they have I estimate I can run about 20ish 2mp cameras maxed out settings 15fps each at around 80%, you are better off to over build than under build, just my two cents, I got my box for $630 refurb straight from dell, XPS, 8gig of ram, 1TB drive, gig ethernet.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Another question, are you buying 4mp just for the number 4mp? You could buy a 2mp camera for a lot cheaper that will spank anything that hikvision puts out, it may look better during the day in perfect lighting but a surveillance camera runs 24/7 and has to deal with a lot of varying lighting conditions, you want something that is going to look good all the time not great in broad daylight and crap any other time. :) hikvision is kind of last year lol.

kronicnz

n3wb
Reaction score
Seems like this has only made the decision harder...

I don't have access to dahua brand at this stage, so will complete this job using hikvision...

So what you are saying is that there is no advantage in uisng:

Hikvision DS-2CD2322WD-I 2MP EXIR IP Turret Camera

over

Hikvision DS-2CD2342WD-I EXIR 4MP IP Turret Camera?

The price difference is $35...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Seems like this has only made the decision harder...

I don't have access to dahua brand at this stage, so will complete this job using hikvision...

So what you are saying is that there is no advantage in uisng:

Hikvision DS-2CD2322WD-I 2MP EXIR IP Turret Camera

over

Hikvision DS-2CD2342WD-I EXIR 4MP IP Turret Camera?

The price difference is $35...
The lower resolution camera will perform BETTER at night and low light.

kronicnz

n3wb
Reaction score
What about in the scenario with plenty of night time lighting in the area?