People counting function doesn't work

role

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi.
I'm having trouble with setting up the People counting function on my IPC-HDW5442TM-ASE
I've set the smart plan to People Counting and have drawn the rules properly, but crossing the specified area doesn't seem to work. No data gets recorded in the "report'' section and no event gets triggered, the same problem occurs with tripwires and other IVS Functions, the only function that seems to be working is face detection.

I'm using the web interface to draw the rules, since smartPSS gives me an error - "Save rule configuration information failed!" whenever I try to save save a new rule.
There is also no option for enabling an "Exit" "Enter" video overlay for people counting

I would really appreciate some help.
I'm new to the forum and all of this, so please forgive me if my questions are dumb.

Device Type IPC-HDW5442TM-ASE
System VersionV2.800.0000000.19.R, Build Date: 2020-07-09
WEB VersionV3.2.1.919770
ONVIF Version19.06(V2.6.1.887698)
S/N6J02E7BPAG5DB4F
Algorithm Version1.0.1
Security Baseline VersionV2.1

Attachments

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I’m sure I read that you need to calibrate the cam in order to reliably use this feature.

Have a look around and see if you can find anything related to calibrating the cam.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Many of these have a global config tab.

You might need an SD card in the camera for some of the reporting as there isn't a large memory in these cameras.

Some cameras only allow for one type of recognition - either people counting or face recognition but not both. But even if it is capable, we have seen that these CPUs are really small and if you try to do to much the camera will bug out momentarily.

I have found that running FPS at 15 FPS and matching iframe to 15 as well can help keep the CPU usage down for some of these other functions to work. Just because a camera may be capable of 30FPS doesn't mean we should run it at max, just like we don't drive around redlining our RPM in our vehicles...plus movies for the big screen are shot at 24FPS, so 15 is fine for a little monitor or phone or tablet LOL...