people not showing up in motion

jaycanter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have been using blue iris for the last few months and have 20+ cams recording 24hrs a day. there are 5 of them covering a area that leads to a side door. the other day i got an email for a cam alert when i viewed it i only seen a second or two and barely long enough for the brightness for the motion went away. so when i got home went to that alert and viewed all the cams at that time. the person never showed up anywhere just instantly at the door. the driveway is 150ft long and the only other way to the area is around the house which they would have passed several other cams. i have all the cams set at 1080p 15fps and a pre-buffer of 150 fps. anybody have ideas why nothing was captured until they were directly at the door? I don't understand being recording 24/7

Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@jaycanter Welcome to the forum...make sure that object detect/reject is NOT checked in the cameras motion tab..Also post a screen shot of your motion settings..

What do you mean by "barely long enough for the brightness for the motion went away" and "I don't understand being recording 24/7"

Last edited by a moderator:

jaycanter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply Fenderman, the object detect is not checked. The next box below where you can mask where you don't want to record has color + brightness or just brightness. so when there is motion it starts off with just blurry blocks (i guess to show where it sensed motion) then goes away. I'll post a screen shot as soon as i can figure out how. but all my cams record continuously, but also have motion recording. The setting is continuous and triggered. so when i look at the alert i can back up and see where someone came from if that makes sense

jaycanter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Heres the screenshots the only spot masked is the neighbors driveway cause kids come and go all day but my drive is recording continuous and here is what i get.

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, you have several different issues going on here.
With respect to lack of motion detection, you need to set it to brightness + color...not brightness alone..(the algorythm was changed late in V3 and there were lots of posts with this problem back then)..
Also, if you may want to lower the min object size a bit as well..
The blurry image you are seeing is not normal...a sample video would help diagnose it...what cameras are you using?
Try this
1) match the cameras iframe to the fps - in camera settings
2) increase the cameras frame rate settings - in blue iris- so if your camera is set to 10fps, set blue iris to 12 or 15...and uncheck auto adjust..
3) increase the network buffer from 1.5mb to 10..in blue iris...

Side note: if you
assign a distinct color to each camera, camera properties>general>event color you will be able to differentiate the cameras on the time line by color instead of seeing one blue line..(this will only affect new recordings, its not retroactive)

anijet

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
........... there are 5 of them covering a area that leads to a side door. ............Thanks
What is your CPU usage during motion in the view of those 5 cameras?
Also, what area do you have masked off?
Are you using direct to disk recording?

jaycanter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks Guys, even had meter reader show up and it didn't show until he was in the middle of the cam. with my old dvr cards recording continuosly i could see where they came from.

Fenderman
If i set to color and brightness the image turns green blocks instead of what you see
I had the min object size lower and was missing if something went by at a fast pace.
the cameras are hikvisions set at 15fps at 1080p and blue iris is set at 30fps buffer is at 3.0
but i'll try those settings

Anijet
Not sure how to see what cpu usage was at that time but normally it's always under 50%
the area masked is the driveway top left
yes everyone of my cams are direct to disk cause i have 20+ cams recording all the time

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Lower object size settings result in a higher sensitivity rate so you will capture more not less....this and the iframe interval issue below can be the cause of the late captures
the color and brightness settings is a motion detection setting and should not effect the image at all..
Since you are recording direct to disk it is important to lower your iframe interval to match your fps because blue iris only begins recording when a comlete new frame is sent..see the help file under direct to disc..
If your cams are sending 15fps set blue iris to 20 and uncheck automatic..

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Fenderman -

Would his Break Time of 1.5 be too high?
Great point (i think you mean the make time) I totally missed that, yes that is very high, I generally have them set at 0.7-.8....

MrCourtney

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yea, "make time" :)
I was just wondering as I've got mine set to .03. Seems someone could move a great distance in 1.5 seconds.
Thanks! (I'm learning thanks to you...)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yea, "make time" :)
I was just wondering as I've got mine set to .03. Seems someone could move a great distance in 1.5 seconds.
Thanks! (I'm learning thanks to you...)
Yes, and if there any movement that lasts less than 1.5 seconds it will not be detected as a new event...So even if you have a high pre-trigger frame setting, it wont help...
Every setup is a bit different, i find that with a .7 or so settings i dont miss any motion and have less false triggers...

jaycanter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Question since recording continuously and i can playback hrs of video and watch cars and people pass that are not in the motion area.
shouldn't i see the person come into camera view not just appear regardless of any of these setting?
I only use the motion recording for tags to find areas of motion

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Question since recording continuously and i can playback hrs of video and watch cars and people pass that are not in the motion area.
shouldn't i see the person come into camera view not just appear regardless of any of these setting?
I only use the motion recording for tags to find areas of motion
Yes you should be capturing everything..post an image of your record tab...

jaycanter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I did set frames to 20 the next up from the 15 i have the cameras at and no automatic fps adjustment. also changed buffer to 10mb, lowered sensitivty, & set to color & brightness.

I had the make time to 1.5 cause i was getting a lot of alarms from the trees moving when the wind blows. but could see how it affects that so i backed down to .8 and turned sensitivity down to see how that works.

Fenderman heres screenshot of my recording tab and all are set the same

Also included some other screenshots you can see were the meter reader came in the middle of the came and never got clear pic of him if it wasn't for 1 of the other cams would have never knew who it was.

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok...instead of using trigger+continuous, you should set it to continuous...you will still get the marker when motion is detected...trigger+continuous is a different function...
Also are you running the latest update for BI4?

jaycanter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I switched all my cams to continuous and now my cpu usage has gone up to in the 60% range from in the 40% range
and i am on version 4.0.4.2

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Set your pretriggeer to 0 on all cams.. Now that it's recording continuously you don't need it.. See if it helps...

Sent via Taptalk

jaycanter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I set them all to zero this morning and every time I looked at it today it's been high 60s to low 70s %

Sent via Taptalk[/QUOTE]

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I set them all to zero this morning and every time I looked at it today it's been high 60s to low 70s %

Sent via Taptalk
Full time recording does increase cpu...how are you measuring use? are you in front of the pc? or using a remote viewing service?