Performance with 10 cameras on one computer running blue iris

rocksethi

n3wb
Reaction score
How is performance and network bandwidth running 10-12 cameras on one computer with blue iris? I am thinking about have a dedicated computer to run blue iris with 10 cameras, but also want to use the computer as a download station for torrents etc. Will one network card in the computer be enough to handle 10 cameras? All of the cameras will be 3mp. I am trying to plan out the specs of this computer. I can add multiple network cards and link aggregation between the computer and the switch if needed, but I just want to be able to plan for that.

rocksethi

n3wb
Reaction score
I haven't built the computer yet, so I am open to suggestions on specs (processor.. etc). My only requirements for the computer is that it can handle 12 hikvision cameras (3mp) and also have enough processor and network bandwidth to download torrents. I will have the video from the computer being saved to a Synology server and not the computer. The only things that will run on the computer will be Blue Iris and a torrent downloading app. I will just have a small ssd to run the OS and Blue IRIS. Any suggestions on Specs?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I haven't built the computer yet, so I am open to suggestions on specs (processor.. etc). My only requirements for the computer is that it can handle 12 hikvision cameras (3mp) and also have enough processor and network bandwidth to download torrents. I will have the video from the computer being saved to a Synology server and not the computer. The only things that will run on the computer will be Blue Iris and a torrent downloading app. I will just have a small ssd to run the OS and Blue IRIS. Any suggestions on Specs?
Go with an i7-4790 or 4790k...a dell optiplex 7020/9020 with the 4790 can be had at the dell outlet for about 429-500 when on sale. They come with a three year next business day warranty.

The_Penguin

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Right now my main desktop has an i7 4770 with 16GB of RAM. OS is on a SSD, data disk is a WD RED. Windows 7 64 bit.
Running Blue Iris 4, with 10 cameras.
5 Hikvision 2032s at 720p 10 fps. 2 Trendnet 110s 1 Dlink 930 an old 4xem POE camera all at 640x480 if I remember correctly, and 1 Microsoft Lifecam USB webcam at 720p.

All are doing motion detect, direct to disk. Blue Iris sits around 10-15% CPU. Computer also runs as a Plex server, and runs Sickbeard SABNZB downloading TV shows a few times a week. I also use Lightroom and Photoshop on this computer, and rarely notice any issues with performance.
Today I needed to trim/combine 10 HD videos from my SLR, and had no problems. I did stop Blue Iris to run handbrake on the final video, but it only took 2 minutes, leaving Blue Iris running probably would have taken 3 minutes :)

Bottom line, my system handles 10 cameras without breaking a sweat. I have 2 more Hik 2032s arriving next week, to replace the Dlink and the 4xem so it might go up to 18%.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Right now my main desktop has an i7 4770 with 16GB of RAM. OS is on a SSD, data disk is a WD RED. Windows 7 64 bit.
Running Blue Iris 4, with 10 cameras.
5 Hikvision 2032s at 720p 10 fps. 2 Trendnet 110s 1 Dlink 930 an old 4xem POE camera all at 640x480 if I remember correctly, and 1 Microsoft Lifecam USB webcam at 720p.

All are doing motion detect, direct to disk. Blue Iris sits around 10-15% CPU. Computer also runs as a Plex server, and runs Sickbeard SABNZB downloading TV shows a few times a week. I also use Lightroom and Photoshop on this computer, and rarely notice any issues with performance.
Today I needed to trim/combine 10 HD videos from my SLR, and had no problems. I did stop Blue Iris to run handbrake on the final video, but it only took 2 minutes, leaving Blue Iris running probably would have taken 3 minutes :)

Bottom line, my system handles 10 cameras without breaking a sweat. I have 2 more Hik 2032s arriving next week, to replace the Dlink and the 4xem so it might go up to 18%.
You make a good point in that if you lower the camera resolution and frame rate it will use less resources..however if the op runs all his cameras in 3mp mode result will be dramatically different...

The_Penguin

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You make a good point in that if you lower the camera resolution and frame rate it will use less resources..however if the op runs all his cameras in 3mp mode result will be dramatically different...
Oops, missed the 3mp in the original post, so yes I agree his results at 3mp may be much different. That said, I think 720p@10fps is pretty good quality, and a good compromise between quality/performance/storage.

Right now I have 3 2032s dedicated to mouse detection (I think I may be winning the battle, and I wonder if anyone else has ever dedicated so much technology to fighting mice :) ) and I'm amazed at how well motion detection works with tiny mice.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Oops, missed the 3mp in the original post, so yes I agree his results at 3mp may be much different. That said, I think 720p@10fps is pretty good quality, and a good compromise between quality/performance/storage.

Right now I have 3 2032s dedicated to mouse detection (I think I may be winning the battle, and I wonder if anyone else has ever dedicated so much technology to fighting mice :) ) and I'm amazed at how well motion detection works with tiny mice.
You are really serious about catching those mice!
FYI, if you are going to run your cams at 720p you are better off with a native 720p cameras as they perform better in low light..

The_Penguin

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You are really serious about catching those mice!
I am. Mrs. Penguin will sh err freak if any find their way into the house. So far the score is me: 14 trapped, neighbors cat: 4 (delivered to the cat's owner, maybe more delivered elsewhere or eaten)
Not sure where they came from, have never had a problem before, may have come with the new neighbors, or perhaps when the old neighbors moved they evicted them. Made the mistake of having a bag of grass seed in the shed, which is where I found them at first. New neighbors cat may have scared them into the shed where they found a 24/7 buffet. Not sure why they made it into the garage, no food source there. But I digress...

I'm pretty happy with the Hik 2032s even at 720p and once my final 2 arrive I'll be done buying cameras for a while.. Yeah right....

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am. Mrs. Penguin will sh err freak if any find their way into the house. So far the score is me: 14 trapped, neighbors cat: 4 (delivered to the cat's owner, maybe more delivered elsewhere or eaten)
Not sure where they came from, have never had a problem before, may have come with the new neighbors, or perhaps when the old neighbors moved they evicted them. Made the mistake of having a bag of grass seed in the shed, which is where I found them at first. New neighbors cat may have scared them into the shed where they found a 24/7 buffet. Not sure why they made it into the garage, no food source there. But I digress...

I'm pretty happy with the Hik 2032s even at 720p and once my final 2 arrive I'll be done buying cameras for a while.. Yeah right....
Good luck! Im sure you'll get em.
As far as being done with buying cameras....not gonna happen :)