Perimeter Detection for a Fence

DaveInFL

n3wb
Reaction score
Does anyone here have any experience with Infrared Beam Perimeter detection systems? I need to secure an outdoor fenced area that is 300x600 feet. My thoughts are to use one of the products below:

http://www.seco-larm.com/E-964-Q660Q?filter_name=E-964-Q660Q

http://www.optexamerica.com/security-products/sl-650qdm

I've read the installation instructions but have concerns about how well they really work and how often they give false alarms. Are they affected by headlights, overhead lights, the sun, do they become less effective as they age, etc. Basically I am looking for some feedback with real-world experience. All of these products claim to work but I want to know if they really work. Of course, I can just buy a pair and give it a try but since I have to run wires down a 600 feet fence I would prefer to get as much information as possible before running the experiment.

The fences are 6 feet tall board-on-board with an angled barbed-wire topper. My intent is to detect anyone who tries to climb over the fence.

I plan to mount them about one foot inside the fence at just above fence height on poles that are not connected to the fence. This should eliminate or reduce false alarms due to animals running on top the fence.

I've spent hours searching for actual User experience but haven't come up with much information. I'm also open to other "low-cost" solutions for detecting if someone climbs over the fence. I'm aware of Fiber Optic systems but they are very expensive and seem to be best suited for chain link fences. The property is located in a residential area so I don’t want to be alarmed every time some kid bumps into the fence or plays around the outside of the fence.

If anyone knows of any other discussion forums that might be more focused on this type of specialized detection ... please pass it along.

Regards,

Dave

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
DaveInFl,

600ft is quite a long way! I have a Seco-Larm laser line (same brand you mentioned) but with only a 90ft range. My observations may be helpful.
Seco-Larm E-960-D90Q Twin Photo Beam Detectors with Laser Beam Alignment, 90'

- The visible "aiming laser" is extremely useful to set up and aim the two sensors at each other. Aiming at dusk helps to see the red aiming laser dot.
- I don't think I ever had a false alert. Very reliable.
- Running through the IR beam caused an alarm. But branches or leaves haven't caused an alarm.
- The sensors are mounted outdoors, no cover above, exposed to the elements, and rain drops on the enclosure haven't caused problems.
- I started with setting the sensors on not-so-sturdy posts, just to check/debug. I recommend rock-solid posts, unaffected by winds or any lean over time.

All in all, pretty pleased.

To discourage fence climbers, maybe consider an electrified ribbon that farmers use. It keeps horses and cows from leaning on fences. It delivers a high voltage shock, but is not dangerous/lethal.

Fastb

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

DaveInFL

n3wb
Reaction score
Fastb,

I appreciate the reply and the tips.

It’s encouraging to hear that you haven’t had any false alerts and that you didn’t need to implement any special measures when installing the sensors.

Can I ask how long you have had them installed and operational?

I would love to use an electric fence topper but it’s prohibited by code in my area; barbed-wire is the only anti-climb device allowed. Unfortunately, it’s not a major deterrent for the determined crook.

Dave

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Dave,
The laser lines have been installed for over one year.
Fastb

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
We have experience with Optex, Alephi, and Terex photobeams. WE have been using quite a few of Optex's wireless photobeams with the built in Inovonics transmitters, which work amazing, but may be more than you want to spend.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
My long distance sensor (mentioned above) has a laser beam that is turned on for aligning. Both tx the & rx sensors have that. Aligning is simple