Perle ethernet extension over copper. Could be useful to some.

Reaction score
I just want to toss this out there for those in the situation of having a voice or data cable (category 3, 5, 5e, or 6...copper twisted pair even though Cat3 is not much twisted) ran out to a second building, garage, house, etc.
We just installed a pair of Perle ethernet over copper on a Category 3 / 25pair run over over 1500' for a customer. Initial testing speed was around 80mb/sec (more than enough for a good number of IP cameras and a couple computers). Each Perle module does require 110v AC for electricity however, so this would not be applicable to a distant run for LPR driveway cams unless you had an AC outlet at the other end.
The webpage says can be used on twisted pairs of Cat5/6/7 but can work on Cat3 as well as we found out.
perle extender.jpg
10/100 Ethernet Extender | Ethernet Copper Extender | Perle

Tuckerdude

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey Holbs...I just saw this and it looks cool! Potentially enables a scenario that I've been trying to find a solution for.

So you are saying...if there is a phone cable already in place, that (with two of these)...you can turn it into an ethernet connection? Is that right, or am I mis-reading?

My specific use case would be a private access gate that is about a mile down the road. I would like to put a camera there but no way to get the stream? So, could I use this and be able to see it? I have power at the gate, so that's not an issue

Thanks for the post!

Reaction score
yes, if phone cable is in place, you should have no problem using these extenders.
Word of caution: what phone cable is in place already? is it indoor rated? or truly outdoor rated?

Tuckerdude

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey Holbs, thanks for getting back to me!

I won't be able to identify the rating on the cable until I get back to the property. But in any case, I am very excited to explore this option. I've ordered a couple already!

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
That looks like a pretty expensive brand. It is not hard to find full kits (device on each end) for $200-$300. I hope it works and is stable!