Picking a Security Camera System

Reaction score
Hello all, thanks for the help ahead of time-

I am looking to have a 4-6 camera security system soon up and running.

I need one to two of them to be outside, and two to be indoors. I am somewhat technical savvy, and would prefer most to be wireless as I do not have Ethernet in my walls, and may not have the time to deal with that. I have 500gb download, 80gb upload internet, and plan to have a DVR setup.

These are the ones I have narrowed it down to, and would like to not spend more than $370.00

Any thoughts?

1. OOSSXX

2. Laview

3. Safevant

4. Firstrend

If you have any thoughts, or suggestions let me know. Thank you!

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Please read the cliff notes in the wiki. The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Do you need the system to work outside at night ?

Is that a DVR or NVR. A NVR is used for IP cameras.

Do not use wifi, it does not work well for IP cameras.

Please read study plan before spending any money.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello all, thanks for the help ahead of time-

I am looking to have a 4-6 camera security system soon up and running.

I need one to two of them to be outside, and two to be indoors. I am somewhat technical savvy, and would prefer most to be wireless as I do not have Ethernet in my walls, and may not have the time to deal with that. I have 500gb download, 80gb upload internet, and plan to have a DVR setup.

These are the ones I have narrowed it down to, and would like to not spend more than $370.00

Any thoughts?

1. OOSSXX

2. Laview

3. Safevant

4. Firstrend

If you have any thoughts, or suggestions let me know. Thank you!
Welcome @themlharris

Took a quick look through those 4...

I think you're lining yourself up for some significant frustrations / disappointments on those options.

Do take some time to determine what your functional needs are first, and then look for product that will meet those needs.

With the options you provided, I suspect you have only used the following determinations
1) You do not want to do much work to set up the system, thus picked wifi products
2) Picked products which were < $x to meet a budget that either is realistic due to your disposable income - or just a number you picked that you're willing to spend at this time.

Try first determining what you want.

Examples:
I want thieves to notice the cameras and run away.
I want to get ID images of thieves so that I can show them to the police.
I want to watch my dogs when I am away.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, I'm reading through the wiki tonight.

I need the video to be easy to view in real time the so I can check up on babysitters, and for the wife to feel at ease when she is home alone and wants to see what's in the back of the house or front. I really doubt someone would Actually break into the house, but we do have a few nice items and I would like an indoor camera for that.

I don't want a monthly subscription cloud camera, as I will end up spending more than a NVR anyhoo, and i put together computers and deal with Technicall stuff a lot so I am okay tinkering.

Appreciate the feedback.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Look at the camera reviews on the forum, look at the video from the cameras. See the difference in the quality of the video.

You get what you pay for.