Picture problem when changing from Day/Night

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I'm testing a 5231 and 4231 connected to Blue Iris. When they change from Day to Night mode, the image is not right. It's too dark and it shows a pulsing type image when viewed. To fix the issue, I have to log into the camera and go to the Exposure settings page. I don't change anything but just click the Save button. Once I do this, the picture is correct. Any idea?

Thanks

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Here's a video of what the image looks like after switching from Day to Night.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
It's too dark and it shows a pulsing type image when viewed.
I'm guessing, but is there an LED or CF light source on the far left?
If so - try turning it off to see if the pulsing ceases.
I suspect it may be a 50Hz/60Hz beat between the camera frame rate and a mains-frequency-linked light output variation from the lamp.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Thanks @alastairstevenson. Like I said, I can resolve the issue by just clicking the "Save" button in the Exposure settings page for the camera. Based on that, I don't believe it's a frequency issue with nearby lighting.

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks @alastairstevenson. Like I said, I can resolve the issue by just clicking the "Save" button in the Exposure settings page for the camera. Based on that, I don't believe it's a frequency issue with nearby lighting.
It might be linked to that annoying "beeping" in the background :)

On-topic: it might be that that "save" button fixes a setting that may went bogus when changing from day to night modus. Saving (an unchanged form) might still push all these values in that form into the memory of that camera, performing a "small" reset, that fixes your symptoms. I'm just wondering, if you would leave your cam all night on night modus, would that flickering start again, automatically at random times? That might indicate your cam is loosing setting parameters, which isn't good. If that's not the case, you might look into calling dahua API to "force" your cam into night mode, with eg antiflickering. See http://<ip>/cgi-bin/configManager.cgi?action=getConfig&name=VideoInOptions with tons of "night" options:
Code:
head.NightOptions.AntiFlicker=0
head.NightOptions.Backlight=0
head.NightOptions.BacklightRegion[0]=3096
head.NightOptions.BacklightRegion[1]=3096
head.NightOptions.BacklightRegion[2]=5096
head.NightOptions.BacklightRegion[3]=5096
head.NightOptions.BrightnessThreshold=50
head.NightOptions.DayNightColor=2
head.NightOptions.ExposureMode=0
head.NightOptions.ExposureSpeed=0
head.NightOptions.ExposureValue1=0
head.NightOptions.ExposureValue2=40
head.NightOptions.ExternalSyncPhase=125
For more information on the API (first google result, no promises here): ftp://ftp.wintel.fi/drivers/dahua/SDK-HTTP_ohjelmointi/DAHUA_IPC_HTTP_API_V1.00x.pdf

Hope this helps!
CC

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
It might be linked to that annoying "beeping" in the background :)

On-topic: it might be that that "save" button fixes a setting that may went bogus when changing from day to night modus. Saving (an unchanged form) might still push all these values in that form into the memory of that camera, performing a "small" reset, that fixes your symptoms. I'm just wondering, if you would leave your cam all night on night modus, would that flickering start again, automatically at random times? That might indicate your cam is loosing setting parameters, which isn't good. If that's not the case, you might look into calling dahua API to "force" your cam into night mode, with eg antiflickering. See http://<ip>/cgi-bin/configManager.cgi?action=getConfig&name=VideoInOptions with tons of "night" options:
Code:
head.NightOptions.AntiFlicker=0
head.NightOptions.Backlight=0
head.NightOptions.BacklightRegion[0]=3096
head.NightOptions.BacklightRegion[1]=3096
head.NightOptions.BacklightRegion[2]=5096
head.NightOptions.BacklightRegion[3]=5096
head.NightOptions.BrightnessThreshold=50
head.NightOptions.DayNightColor=2
head.NightOptions.ExposureMode=0
head.NightOptions.ExposureSpeed=0
head.NightOptions.ExposureValue1=0
head.NightOptions.ExposureValue2=40
head.NightOptions.ExternalSyncPhase=125
For more information on the API (first google result, no promises here): ftp://ftp.wintel.fi/drivers/dahua/SDK-HTTP_ohjelmointi/DAHUA_IPC_HTTP_API_V1.00x.pdf

Hope this helps!
CC
Thanks for the reply @catcamstar. Haha, that annoying beeping is from a fire alarm box at the apartment. It does it all the time. I'll check the camera again toght and overnight.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Like I said, I can resolve the issue by just clicking the "Save" button in the Exposure settings page for the camera.
Yes indeed.
But arguably that's symptom rather than cause linked.
it might be that that "save" button fixes a setting that may went bogus when changing from day to night modus.
Yes, agreed, seen that behaviour a few times.
Based on that, I don't believe it's a frequency issue with nearby lighting.
It sounds like you don't watch ' Stranger Things'.
A flick of the switch might be illuminating.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm testing a 5231 and 4231 connected to Blue Iris. When they change from Day to Night mode, the image is not right. It's too dark and it shows a pulsing type image when viewed. To fix the issue, I have to log into the camera and go to the Exposure settings page. I don't change anything but just click the Save button. Once I do this, the picture is correct. Any idea?

Thanks
how are you changing from day to night? cameras own sensor?

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I'll reset the camera and see what happens. Unfortunately, I can't control the lights since I'm temporarily living in an apartment while building a new house.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Well, it appears the issue has something to do with Shutter Priority for the Night profile. Anything greater than 1/100 causing the pulsing. Same result with either camera. I was trying to use 1/250 since there's enough light out there.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
All... I'm still having issues with the image. Tonight, both cams I'm testing are using identical settings and the pictures is very similar. Randomly the image changes. In fact the first screenshot shows both cameras with a different image after they randomly changed. I log into each camera and "Save" the Night Exposure settings and the image returns to normal. I've reset these cameras and also upgraded the firmware in hopes this issue would be resolved but it continues. I first thought it only happened during the Day/Night switch but that's not the case. Any ideas?

Attachments