Pixelation (Pulsating) issue - I Frame Interval

IPNewB

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello. I'm new to the IP Cam thing. I recently setup 6 cameras and an NVR recording 24/7. I have a Revo America "Ultra" NVR/Camera combo which is manufactured by Zhejiang Uniview Technologies. I'm noticing some pixilation every 2 seconds in my live view (it's probably there in the recording also). I think it's the I Frame causing it.

Here are my Main Stream settings...

Compression: H.265
Resolution: 2560x1440
Bitrate Type: VBR
Image Quality: Higher
Bitrate: 4096 Kbps
Frame Rate: 15 fps
I Frame Interval: 30
Smoothing: 5
Smart Encoding: Off

Is there something in my settings that can be adjusted to stop or at least make it less noticeable?

IPNewB

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion. When I do that, the pixilation happens every second. So it is definitely the I Frame that is causing it. When I say pixilation, I mean the image quality degrades slightly for that moment.

trucams

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Have you tried changing compression to h.264? Maybe it is a stream processing issue?

IPNewB

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, it also happens on H.264. I think what I see may be the "pulsating" pixel effect when the I Frame is taken as described in this thread...

Hikvision - Noise/Quality Problem - $50 Reward!

A couple posters in that thread describe what happens when an I Frame image is taken and that this is normal with H.264.

afhuss01

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello. I'm new to the IP Cam thing. I recently setup 6 cameras and an NVR recording 24/7. I have a Revo America "Ultra" NVR/Camera combo which is manufactured by Zhejiang Uniview Technologies. I'm noticing some pixilation every 2 seconds in my live view (it's probably there in the recording also). I think it's the I Frame causing it.

Here are my Main Stream settings...

Compression: H.265
Resolution: 2560x1440
Bitrate Type: VBR
Image Quality: Higher
Bitrate: 4096 Kbps
Frame Rate: 15 fps
I Frame Interval: 30
Smoothing: 5
Smart Encoding: Off

Is there something in my settings that can be adjusted to stop or at least make it less noticeable?
They work best with default setting at each encoding option...so yours would be 20/40 FPS/I frame.

I would try CBR if you’re not using U Code.

Some of the pixilation could be caused by the type of monitor you use (or be made worse, I mean). I almost always get a cleaner image on my phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Depending on how you view with a phone you might be viewing a sub stream, which is encoded separately.