Placement ideas?

BCMguy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Trying to determine my best options for camera placement in the below pic. Cameras will be Dahua starlight. There is currently a camera mounted below the light on the right side of the garage - I think that location will remain. The biggest question is how to properly cover the front door and porch area. My thought is a 3.6mm to the left of the door, around 6ft up above the doorbell button.

Thoughts?

Thank you!Front.PNG

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Trying to determine my best options for camera placement in the below pic. Cameras will be Dahua starlight. There is currently a camera mounted below the light on the right side of the garage - I think that location will remain. The biggest question is how to properly cover the front door and porch area. My thought is a 3.6mm to the left of the door, around 6ft up above the doorbell button.

Thoughts?

Thank you!View attachment 22680
Welcome BCMguy,

I like the idea of 6 feet by the front door. Checkout some of the notes below, I have a link or 2 in my notes which shows how nicely a camera can blend in when you paint the cover to match the walls.

I used a 2.8mm lens by my door since people will be right in front of it, else where I have varifocals.

It's easy to get swamped with information here, so I wanted to share some notes with you

Please check out @giomania 's notes:
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

I have also made notes which are a summary of a lot of the reading I've been doing here,:
Looking for some advice and direction!

Have fun joining us here.

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
I agree with @mat200 a 2.8mm dome or turret at eye level on the left side of the door would be a perfect facial capture camera for the front door. If its mounted low enough, you may still be able to get the street. I always want to be able to see all the way across the street in both directions. This way when something happens, you can see what direction your subject comes from, if they are hitting other houses, what vehicle they are in etc..