Plan for a 2-way audio camera at my gate

Door8192

n3wb
Reaction score
My gate is pretty far from the house, about 200 feet or so. My current plan is for a wired POE camera with an access point with solar power. My problem is that I have no experience with cameras and no idea if the plans I have make any sense. Any feedback or ideas would be appreciated.

Attachments

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
An intercom may work better than a camera with 2 way audio. You'll likely have a motorized gate opener and long term may want multiple cameras plus an intercom at the gate.

All of which is to say you may want to run power to the gate.

Door8192

n3wb
Reaction score
An intercom may work better than a camera with 2 way audio. You'll likely have a motorized gate opener and long term may want multiple cameras plus an intercom at the gate.

All of which is to say you may want to run power to the gate.
The gate has a small battery and solar panel that operates it. It always works. Running power out to the gate will not be fun.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My problem is that I have no experience with cameras and no idea if the plans I have make any sense. Any feedback or ideas would be appreciated.
You seem to have a better handle on the electrical side of what would be required than most people.

I'd probably up size your power designs a bit to accommodate a PoE intercom/doorbell in addition to a camera or two. The daytime power consumption for the camera is likely to be a bit less, it will draw more power at night with IR lights turned on. I'd probably use a PoE switch that can handle battery power instead, something like this: Amazon.com

I'd try to test all the equipment you're planning to use and measure actual power consumption over 24 hrs, before fully designing your solar solution. It's also not that hard to dig a 200' trench with the right tools.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.