Planning Stage > Wireless Backhaul

IP_man

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I wanted to run an idea by people to see if my plan is doable.

Background
I am helping my farmer neighbor with his surveillance needs. During the spring he plans on monitoring calving in the barn. He also would like to monitor around his home.

Attached is an image with the data:
  • red - around the home
  • blue - the barn
Monitoring Area
farm.png

Extending the home LAN via Wireless

In order to get to the barn, I plan on creating a wireless backhaul from the home to the barn. The distance between the two is 60 meters - see the image.

The wireless hardware I plan on using has an actual throughput measurement of at least 202 Mbps.

Remote Camera Network Demands
I used the bandwidth calculator below[2] configured with H.264 codec, 5 MP cameras at high and 30 fps to compute 24.06 Mbps per camera.

As mentioned above, the wireless gear I am using supports a minimum of 202 Mbps. This means I can support four remote cameras all streaming image changes - I am assuming the codec is mostly streaming image changes therefore static images do not have high network demands.

Questions
  • Given an NVR, does it care whether I feed multiple camera streams through one of its Ethernet ports? My assumption is no because it is the software that determines the maximum number of supported channels (and hardware like CPU and possibly RAM) but I thought I'd ask ... :)
  • Do NVRs support GigE on their camera Ethernet ports?
  • Do NVRs allow a user to disable PoE?
  • Are there any issues people see with using a wireless backhaul to extend the LAN?
Reference
  1. I plan on reviewing the following post - Advice needed re new CCTV system.
  2. Bandwidth calculator - Network IP Security Camera System Bandwidth Calculator

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome, study this Wiki.
You don't need 5mp cameras, if you want a chance at low light visibility, stick with 5442 series 4mp or the 5231ze 2mp Cams.
If you go the NVR route, it's best to buy a non-POE NVR, that gives you more flexibility in placement.
A lot of us here, use Blue Iris on a dedicated PC instead of a traditional NVR, much more flexible.

Extending the lan like you propose is done all the time with Ubiquity Nano Stations.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
:welcome:

Glad you are here in the planning stage of your project.

If you are going to go with the NVR,it is recommended to get the cameras and the NVR from the same manufacture and vendor. Not all cameras from a manufacture work on the manufactures NVR.

Read study plan before spending money.

My comments below are for general home users, but do apply to your situation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
My standard welcome to the forum message.

Please read the IP Cam Talk Cliff Notes and other items in the IP Cam Talk Wiki. (read on a real computer, not a phone). The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) in the wiki also.

Quick start
1) If you do not have a wired monitored alarm system, get that first
2) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras if you need good low light cameras.
3) use a VPN to access home network (openVPN)
4) Do not use wifi cameras.
5) Do not use cloud storage
6) Do Not use uPNP, P2P, QR, do not open ports,
7) More megapixel is not necessarily better.
8) Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most))
9) Do not use reolink, ring, nest, Arlo cameras (they are junk), no cloud cameras
10) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
11) Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)
12) use a test mount to verify the camera mount location. My test rig: rev.2
13) (Looney2ns)If you want to be able to ID faces, don't mount cams higher than 8ft. You want to know who did it, not just what happened.
14) Use a router that has openVPN built in (Most ASUS, Some NetGear....)
15) camera placement use the calculator... IPVM Camera Calculator V3
16) POE list PoE Switch Suggestion List

Cameras to look at
IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Full Color, Starlight+) - 4MP starlight
Dahua IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED review
IPC-T5442TM-AS Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+ - 4MP starlight+
IPC-B5442E-ZE Review - OEM IPC-B5442E-ZE 4MP AI Varifocal Bullet Camera With Starlight+
IPC-T2347G-LU Review of the Hikvision OEM model IPC-T2347G-LU 'ColorVu' IP CCTV camera. (DS-2CD2347G1-LU)
IPC-HDW2231R-ZS Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS Starlight Camera-Varifocal
IPC-HDW2231T-ZS-S2 Review-OEM IPC-T2231T-ZS 2mp Varifocal Starlight Camera
IPC-HDW5231R-ZE Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE
IPC-HFW4239T-ASE IPC-HFW4239T-ASE
IPCT-HDW5431RE-I Review - IP Cam Talk 4 MP IR Fixed Turret Network Camera
DS-2CD2325FWD-I
N22AL12 New Dahua N22AL12 Budget Cam w/Starlight -- low cost entry

Other dahua 4MP starlight Dahua 4MP Starlight Lineup

My preferred indoor cameras
DS-2CD2442FWD-IW
IPC-K35A Review-Dahua IPC-K35A 3mp Cube Camera

If interested in Blue Iris and other setup items see the following post

Camera Sensor size info Sensor Size Chart Generally bigger is better

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan
Test do not guess

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I used the bandwidth calculator below[2] configured with H.264 codec, 5 MP cameras at high and 30 fps to compute 24.06 Mbps per camera.
If you get a pro-grade camera like Dahua or Hikvision, I'd suggest trying out variable bit rate (VBR) instead of a high CBR and see how you like it. It can significantly reduce the bandwidth/storage requirements when there's not a lot of activity in the scene.

x2 on the suggestions to look at the Dahua 5442 series cameras. The 4MP 1/1.8" low-light image sensor that they use is about as good as it gets for the price. AFAIK, Hikvision is the only other manufacturer that uses that image sensor, but they only seem to have one affordable model (ColorVu) that uses it.

IP_man

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for the links, compiled data and the invaluable experience. I have some reading to do! :) I do like the idea of using an existing PC (rather than an NVR).

btw, using variable rate, to me, seems like the real way to go!

To help any future people, I have a wireless LAN set up between my garage and my home. It's about 70 meters (230 feet).

I'm using Ubiquiti NanoBeam 5AC Gen2 gear. The radios sync at 655 Mbps through some trees. They are GigE. With encryption disabled, the receiving radio CPU max out with three simultaneous, 1G scp's. I get about 202 Mbps (AirView is disabled).

If you need more bandwidth, I'd suggest the PowerBeam 5AC Gen2

Off to read more!

IP_man

n3wb
Reaction score
they don't have 1G. max around 655.
Hi!

I think you misread what I wrote. scp is secure copy. It is a UNIX/Linux command. When I wrote "1G scp's", that meant I was using "scp" to copy 1G sized files.

As I wrote (and I agree with you), the radios at my short distance are sync'ing at 655 Mbps:
  • On the garage: garage.png
  • On the house: house.png
but in practice, the throughput is limited by the CPU of these little beasts. :)

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for the links, compiled data and the invaluable experience. I have some reading to do! :) I do like the idea of using an existing PC (rather than an NVR).

btw, using variable rate, to me, seems like the real way to go!

To help any future people, I have a wireless LAN set up between my garage and my home. It's about 70 meters (230 feet).

I'm using Ubiquiti NanoBeam 5AC Gen2 gear. The radios sync at 655 Mbps through some trees. They are GigE. With encryption disabled, the receiving radio CPU max out with three simultaneous, 1G scp's. I get about 202 Mbps (AirView is disabled).

If you need more bandwidth, I'd suggest the PowerBeam 5AC Gen2

Off to read more!
It'd be intresting to see how well a 1Gb powerline ethernet module would work assuming power runs directly from the house to the garage. I use a TP-Link product that is showing a 850Mb connection over a powerline run of about 60 feet. But I guess that's an experiment for someone else since your setup seems to be working well.

IP_man

n3wb
Reaction score
t'd be intresting to see how well a 1Gb powerline ethernet module would work assuming power runs directly from the house to the garage. I use a TP-Link product that is showing a 850Mb connection over a powerline run of about 60 feet. But I guess that's an experiment for someone else since your setup seems to be working well.
Hi,

I ran Ethernet from the house to the garage but due to each building having different grounds, I'd blow switches. I could have tried fibre but in the end, I went with wireless as it was cheaper. I don't move much data between the two buildings. My Internet is currently 120 Mbps/20 Mbps so the wireless is not a bottleneck. If/when I ever get faster speeds, I can upgrade to stronger wireless gear. Ubiquti has some neat AirFibre gear.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi,

I ran Ethernet from the house to the garage but due to each building having different grounds, I'd blow switches. I could have tried fibre but in the end, I went with wireless as it was cheaper. I don't move much data between the two buildings. My Internet is currently 120 Mbps/20 Mbps so the wireless is not a bottleneck. If/when I ever get faster speeds, I can upgrade to stronger wireless gear. Ubiquti has some neat AirFibre gear.
I'm using THESE PL Adapters, at the time I believe I paid $58 for the pair. Just FYI in case someone else needs another option for an ethernet connection without running cable.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.