Plasti-dipping outdoor IP cams

2JZGTE

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,

I read about a few people doing it, but I wonder if anyone has long term experience with it. I wanna plasti-dip white cams to make them black (my soffits are natural cedar wood color). I'm not too worried about heat because the cameras will be under the roof and no direct sunlight will hit them.

Any tips or suggestions?

Cupofschmoe

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
as with any paint job, for it to last and hold, it's all about the prep work.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You might get overheating issues depending on your location and the location of your camera.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
My best friends little brother has been doing PlastiDip for the last 4 or 5 years on one of his vehicles. He changes the color and design every few months. The stuff holds up great and he drives that truck a few times a week as well as washes it with a soft brush or something and it always looks great/like it was just done. I would say seeing how it holds up on his truck, you shouldn't have any problems at all putting this on a camera that is stationary out of the elements.

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I spray paint all of my cameras black because I think the white sticks out ugly. Prep work is important, blue tape anything vital well, scuff the white paint, compressed air to clean it off, wet towel everything, let it dry, light coats over and over, don't go heavy. Don't know if heat is an issue bc I am in a cold environment. Works well if you hand the camera from a string and paint at eye level so the spray can doesn't have to be at an angle.

These cameras both came in white.

The_Penguin

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Interesting that everyone wants black. I have several Top-201 cameras that I need to blend in to white trim, and have been thinking about spraying them white.

ilrider78

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The white cameras stick our like a sore thumb on my house. I'd like to spray paint mine "sandstone" to match the color of the siding. I've seen few painted cams in the installation section that blends well to the home. Not too worried about the overheating part since they''re all under the roof eaves or in shaded areas.

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The white cameras stick our like a sore thumb on my house. I'd like to spray paint mine "sandstone" to match the color of the siding. I've seen few painted cams in the installation section that blends well to the home. Not too worried about the overheating part since they''re all under the roof eaves or in shaded areas.
White eaves are fairly common in Australia so white tends to be a discrete colour. Sometimes blending can work against you. Something that catches and draws the eye to it can get you some great face shots. @nayr has a strobe on his alarm out that flashes when the camera sees movement. They look at the strobe and hence straight at the camera. Some security professionals argue that deterance is increased with visible cameras.

glg_99

n3wb
Reaction score
same concept of stores putting in dummy cameras wanting you to think they are being watched so people will behave respectful. i think visible or Hunter orange may be the way to go. we hang Giant sines at work Parking lot under Video surveillance to denture thieves and vandals.