Plate Recognizer for ALPR

DsineR

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Anyone using this new feature in BI? Found under the camera settings - trigger - artificial intelligence. For now, looks like the only benefit to enabling is have the license plate info show up on the Alerts tab. Takes a little work to the vehicle aligned within the Alert window.

You must register with Plate Recognizer for a key, then enter key into BI window.

Capture.PNG

DsineR

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
IPC-HFW5231E-Z12E purchased from Andy. Seems to be the current favorite for LPR usage, several threads here in the LPR section covering details.

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
I see it's a free service for 2,500 plates a month. My quiet residential street gets about 3,700 plates a month from OpenALPR's free CloudStream service, although a portion of them are duplicates either from parked vehicles or from slow vehicles. Once the plate event is captured, what does the service allow you to do with the data? Is it searchable and quantifiable?

DsineR

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have not checked out the offerings from Plate Recognizer, except for the BI integration. So far, very limited use with BI - the captured plate is shown on the alert window as shown in the original post.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Could be promising. I wonder if IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E would work well with this.

pinko

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm testing Plate Recognizer via Blue Iris on a pair of Dahua Z12's.
I am testing against OpenALPR running on same cameras.

After a few hrs testing :
Open ALPR : 36/36 (100%) hits with 97% (35/36) accurate plate reads.
Plate Recognizer 8/36 (22%) hits with 12.5%(1/8 ) accurate plate hits.
PR does not seem to working at all now?I will need to try and work out why.

I think the issue with PR is that it is not capturing the image at the right time, so I will probably have to make adjustments to the cameras.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do you see any major differences between HFW5231E-Z12 & Dahua HFW5241E-Z12E?

pinko

Known around here
Reaction score
Both are great cameras.
The Z12E has a few more AI features like Heat Map and People counting.
There's really nothing between them, day or night.

Reaction score
I'm testing Plate Recognizer via Blue Iris on a pair of Dahua Z12's.
I am testing against OpenALPR running on same cameras.

After a few hrs testing :
Open ALPR : 36/36 (100%) hits with 97% (35/36) accurate plate reads.
Plate Recognizer 8/36 (22%) hits with 12.5%(1/8 ) accurate plate hits.
PR does not seem to working at all now?I will need to try and work out why.

I think the issue with PR is that it is not capturing the image at the right time, so I will probably have to make adjustments to the cameras.
I’m trying to use a IPC-HDW5231R-ZE for ALPR with playerecognizer.com and it is not at all working for me.

Any suggestions?

F537064A-D462-4BBB-9E73-6E9956DDA80B.jpeg D21CC9DD-9B07-4512-98D1-96DA4DD74808.jpeg

usaf_pride

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
My guess is either:
1. Not enough zoom
2. detection area too small
3. combination of 1 & 2

pinko

Known around here
Reaction score
@JNDATHP. I've disabled PR for now. I will mess around with it to get better detection at a some point.

I have both cameras set up to capture passing vehicles (image). I only need one camera for this.
I will set the other camera up to get plate captures for vehicles entering/leaving.
cvan.png
To get my cameras dialed in for PR, I think all I needed to do was to get the camera to capture a good JPEG (capturing the plate), using combination of make time/detection zones.
IMO you might need to increase the size of your detection zones for better jpeg captures. Once your getting good jpeg captures, PR should give better results.

LucyM

n3wb
Reaction score
I have not checked out the offerings from Plate Recognizer, except for the BI integration. So far, very limited use with BI - the captured plate is shown on the alert window as shown in the original post.
You can see a full dashboard on Plate Recognizer website. You can search, filter, flag, etc. the license plates captured. I'd expect they'll make this more robust in the upcoming weeks.

pinko

Known around here
Reaction score
Sadly, Plate Reconizer is not even close to being any sort of competition to OpenALPR.
I wanted PR to be great, its not. Lacking in so many areas. :(
IMO Blue Iris integrtion should have went with OpenALPR. Perhaps Ken will add this integration at some point in the future.