Play Back Video will not be shown on I phone

Reaction score
I had the working like a charm till i messed with it. I am running BI and the changes that I made where that I am starting to run Dropbox in the background and have the videos go to the dropbox folder. Since I have made this change, I can't view the videos that are being recorded. What I am getting is that "Blue Iris Cannot open Video".
I have checked and the videos are there in the dropbox folder, but why cant i play them back on the app???

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I had the working like a charm till i messed with it. I am running BI and the changes that I made where that I am starting to run Dropbox in the background and have the videos go to the dropbox folder. Since I have made this change, I can't view the videos that are being recorded. What I am getting is that "Blue Iris Cannot open Video".
I have checked and the videos are there in the dropbox folder, but why cant i play them back on the app???
if you changed the container type to mp4 from BVR you will need an mp4 codec http://blueirissoftware.com/third-party-software/

Reaction score
Ok......Looks like its working now. I had to delete the old clips from my phone before i made the move to the new path. Since I have done that, looks like its working now. Interesting????

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok......Looks like its working now. I had to delete the old clips from my phone before i made the move to the new path. Since I have done that, looks like its working now. Interesting????
The database may have also needed to be rebuilt with the change..maybe the deletion of the clips triggered the database to update..

Reaction score
We all of sudden been having issues again. We will be able to watch clips from the I phone and than with in minutes, if the camera records, we can't watch the clip. Not sure what is doing this. You mentioned rebuilding the database???? How do you do that???

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
We all of sudden been having issues again. We will be able to watch clips from the I phone and than with in minutes, if the camera records, we can't watch the clip. Not sure what is doing this. You mentioned rebuilding the database???? How do you do that???
Are you limited to not watching any clips or only the most recent clip that is being recorded? What file format are you recording to?

Reaction score
We can watch the clips in about an hour it looks like. We are using AVI for the clips right now. We can see the still image of the clip, but when we go to play them, we get that "Blue Iris Can Not open Video". Sometimes it works instant, some times you have to wait for a bit, and then sometimes you can't get nothing.

Reaction score
Looks like I can watch clips from 3:45 but I have clips from 3:55 to now which is 6:00 and we can see the still image of the clip, but can't watch the video. I will wait and see what or how long it takes before we can watch those videos. Now a side note, right now we are working on having these clips to be on a path to dropbox. I have one BI that works like a charm. Instantly, but this second computer seems to have a hiccup in it somewhere.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
We can watch the clips in about an hour it looks like. We are using AVI for the clips right now. We can see the still image of the clip, but when we go to play them, we get that "Blue Iris Can Not open Video". Sometimes it works instant, some times you have to wait for a bit, and then sometimes you can't get nothing.
That is a limitation of AVI and MP4...you cannot watch a clip until the file closes. You likely have your combine and cut set to 1 hour...either disable combine and cut at which point your will be able to watch the clip as soon as motion stops and your break time expires, or use BVR format that can playback an open file. There is really no reason not to use BVR. Its is also more efficient.

Reaction score
UPDATE::: After messing with the phone, I can play back when I make the profiles inactive. As soon as I hit the profile 1 which is to record all motion, I can't watch the clips........So what setting do I have wrong and where is it at???

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
UPDATE::: After messing with the phone, I can play back when I make the profiles inactive. As soon as I hit the profile 1 which is to record all motion, I can't watch the clips........So what setting do I have wrong and where is it at???
see my post above. When you make the profile inactive, the file is closed so you can then play it.

Reaction score
That is a limitation of AVI and MP4...you cannot watch a clip until the file closes. You likely have your combine and cut set to 1 hour...either disable combine and cut at which point your will be able to watch the clip as soon as motion stops and your break time expires, or use BVR format that can playback an open file. There is really no reason not to use BVR. Its is also more efficient.
The problem that I have with BVR is that when the files get dropped into dropbox, its a BVR and I can't play back BVR without BI, so how do i fix that??

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The problem that I have with BVR is that when the files get dropped into dropbox, its a BVR and I can't play back BVR without BI, so how do i fix that??
Why would you want to play the file without bi? its a backup...if you ever need it your can install the BI demo on any machine and play it back.