Playback issue with bvr format

reeves1985

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I understand how the .bvr gmformat is proprietary to blue iris, but have they produced a player itself?

I've had the police round for an incident "knife attack" which took place near my property and my cameras have caught some footage and also sound from this incident.

The police obviously asked for the footage as evidence which is fine. The problem is apparently with UK law I am not allowed to alter or convert the footage myself. Due to legal implications if it's used as evidence in court. (Not sure if this is true or not, it is just what the police told me today)

Now I can obviously stick the whole lot on disk and simply put the blue iris demo on the disk as well.
This is tedious and cumbersome and also has massive files as I record 24/7. Ss well as motion.
I can filter the clips down but this then changes the format to say Avi for example.

Does anybody know of anything that will play the files otherwise the police are going to seize my equipment for evidence and I really dont want that?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I understand how the .bvr gmformat is proprietary to blue iris, but have they produced a player itself?

I've had the police round for an incident "knife attack" which took place near my property and my cameras have caught some footage and also sound from this incident.

The police obviously asked for the footage as evidence which is fine. The problem is apparently with UK law I am not allowed to alter or convert the footage myself. Due to legal implications if it's used as evidence in court. (Not sure if this is true or not, it is just what the police told me today)

Now I can obviously stick the whole lot on disk and simply put the blue iris demo on the disk as well.
This is tedious and cumbersome and also has massive files as I record 24/7. Ss well as motion.
I can filter the clips down but this then changes the format to say Avi for example.

Does anybody know of anything that will play the files otherwise the police are going to seize my equipment for evidence and I really dont want that?
They will play in media player with a codec installed Is there a standalone BVR viewer?
You can give them the bvr and tell them to go spend the money on a BI license if they dont like the mp4. More than likely if you simply export to mp4 they would not know the difference.
Seizing your equipment is unreasonable and would not be allowed here in the US. If that is what they insist on doing, then delete the footage and tell them you lost it. You can only be helpful to a point.
The default clip size is 4gb, you can put that on a 5 dollar usb drive.

reeves1985

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
They will play in media player with a codec installed Is there a standalone BVR viewer?
You can give them the bvr and tell them to go spend the money on a BI license if they dont like the mp4. More than likely if you simply export to mp4 they would not know the difference.
Seizing your equipment is unreasonable and would not be allowed here in the US. If that is what they insist on doing, then delete the footage and tell them you lost it. You can only be helpful to a point.
The default clip size is 4gb, you can put that on a 5 dollar usb drive.
I actually found that post just after I posted.

The default file size is 4gb as you say but when doing 5 cams over the 24 hour period ot adds up quickly.

Also agree about it being unreasonable to seize the equipment but over here in the UK they are actually allowed to do this.
I have a friend who had 2 cars stolen and the police took their equipment and it took 4 months to get it back!!!!

I haven't tried the codec pack yet as in the end I dumped a copy of BI on the drive and told them to use it in demo mode Haha

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I actually found that post just after I posted.

The default file size is 4gb as you say but when doing 5 cams over the 24 hour period ot adds up quickly.

Also agree about it being unreasonable to seize the equipment but over here in the UK they are actually allowed to do this.
I have a friend who had 2 cars stolen and the police took their equipment and it took 4 months to get it back!!!!

I haven't tried the codec pack yet as in the end I dumped a copy of BI on the drive and told them to use it in demo mode Haha
Cut the clips at 1gb in the future.

reeves1985

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Cut the clips at 1gb in the future.
Good valid point!

I've just tried the codecs, whilst it does enable WMP to play the files you have no ability at all to go forward or back or FF

Surely they BI dev must be looking at just releasing a very lightweight portable player for the format.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Good valid point!

I've just tried the codecs, whilst it does enable WMP to play the files you have no ability at all to go forward or back or FF

Surely they BI dev must be looking at just releasing a very lightweight portable player for the format.
If he wanted to release a lightweight player, he would have done so long ago. You can always email support and ask for it.

reeves1985

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If he wanted to release a lightweight player, he would have done so long ago. You can always email support and ask for it.
That's very true, although you would think it would be a sensible option. But I suppose I'm only a small time end user

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That's very true, although you would think it would be a sensible option. But I suppose I'm only a small time end user
Everyone is a small-time end-user. The developer is very responsive to user a requests, the more users that request something quicker it gets done.

Last edited:

reeves1985

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Everyone is a small-time end-user. The developer is very responsive to user a requests, the more users that request something quicker it gets done.
I'll send a email through to support as I'm sure it cannot hurt anything. As I'm sure it would be well received should they decide to make one available.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I put this in the giving too much information department.
I'd would have simply exported the clip/time frame they need in mp4, handed it off to them and said no more.
Practice doing so now, so if there is a next time, you can do it in short order.

reeves1985

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I put this in the giving too much information department.
I'd would have simply exported the clip/time frame they need in mp4, handed it off to them and said no more.
Practice doing so now, so if there is a next time, you can do it in short order.
I agree to a point, but it's difficult in the respect that i was given a 24 hour period they wanted, and the fact due to the nature of the incident if I was unable to for whatever reason they would seize the equipment.

They actually brought the point up about being native format to whatever format the original recording is in.
I suppose yes I could have said well that's the format there you go and encoded it it mp4.
But that would have taken a lot of my time to do.

And to be perfectly honest although what these drug addicts do to themselves I have no interest, i would rather them be behind bars so that it doesnt effect me or my you children's lives.

As you can tell it's not a great area and we are looking to move within the next 12 months but at the same time, right now I have to deal with this for what it is.

reeves1985

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've emailed support to see if it's something that can be possible for them to do,

Whether it get the time of day is another matter.

I just think to be be able to just dump the whole lot on a drive and simply place a player on there, just removes any hassle at all.

I'm also sure it's not a great deal of resource involved to actually produce a basic player that's a small light standalone player just for this specific purpose