please help , expert advice needed :)

pk24

n3wb
Reaction score
I've been reading threads on here for days but getting a bit overwhelmed and confused with all the info

my situation

I currently have a hikvision nvr and looking at advantages to switching to blue iris , wanting to use smart features for motion detection to cut down on false motion triggers but my cameras don't support this with my NVR so looking at blue iris software option instead

my cameras

1. unnamed 1080p ip camera (had for a while cant remember the name)
2. IMPORX CCTV Auto Tracking PTZ IP Camera
3. YUCHENG Auto Tracking PTZ IP Camera
4. Reolink RLC-422 4mp
5. Reolink RLC-411WS 5mp

before anyone says , I know reolink are not well liked in here and I have had issues myself but its what I have currently but will swap out once got hardware setup for hikvision or dahua

so couple of questions ,

1. what is the electricity consumption of running a dedicated PC/Laptop with bue iris like compared to a NVR (question from misses lol)
2. could I set smart features up in blue iris using the above cameras

3. is the below spec laptop ok to run blue iris as one for sale locally

HP Pavilion DV8-1190e
CPU i7 Q720 2.8ghz (turbo)
Nvidia GT 230M 1GB+3GB
Windows 7

sorry if all has been asked before but so confused right now

thanks in advance for any help info

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That is very weak processor...buy an efficient 3rd gen i5 for 100 that will significantly outperform that first gen i7 laptop... search threads that discuss this...

pk24

n3wb
Reaction score
thanks fenderman will try search again , but its info overload (might be due to bump i had on my head the other day but get more confused more I read lol)

My current laptop sounds good enough spec unless i'm mistaken to run so may try out on this first , then save up for designated box in future

Laptop - Lenovo ideapad 500 i7-6500 2.5ghz , 64bit windows 10

will continue to search for the info tho about electric consumption (to please the misses as she don't want big bills) and smart features

thanks again for your reply

jasburrito

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Are you gonna run your cat wires to a Poe or Poe plus switch first. Then run a cat wire from switch to laptop location? Or Poe switch to router. Cat from router to pc. Thanks

pk24

n3wb
Reaction score
havent used poe

all are individually wired into and network 1gb switch which is wired to the router , router then wired or wireless to pc / laptop

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
1. Depends on what you buy

2. The motion detector is based on the Blue Iris software, not the cameras so yes you will be able to use the features

3. I strongly recommend not using a laptop. Search Ebay for "HP Compaq i5-3570" or "HP Compaq i5-3470" and you find a lot of good deals for under $130

pk24

n3wb
Reaction score
thanks for the info everyone

so pros and cons , gonna have to look what I can find on the bay

found the i5-3570 for £150 ish , looks like same computers we use in work (wonder if they would miss one lol)

is this spec ok for running blue iris or would it struggle

Last edited:

pk24

n3wb
Reaction score
Been offered 2 dell optiplex 7010 for £120 for both , hoping to pick up over weekend