Please help me decide Dahua or Hikvision

zape

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi all.
What would you pick if the price was the same?
1) Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-Z
2) Hikvision DS-2CD4526FWD-IZH

What are pros and cons of each?
Hikvision seem to has better specs but I read somewhere that they are not directly comparable because measured in different conditions and Hikvision is trying to cheat somehow and show better specs than they are.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I started with hikvision equipment and switched to dahua. I didn't have the model of hikvision camera you're asking about, so I can't give a direct comparison. I'll say in general that I found the dahua cameras to have better images and more features. They both have bugs, but in my usage I found the dahua bugs less of an obstacle to doing my job. I record 24x7 with event detection. In a different use scenario, my conclusion could have been different. I don't use ptz, or send emails, to give 2 examples. That's the long answer. The short answer is I'd go with dahua.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all.
What would you pick if the price was the same?
1) Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-Z
2) Hikvision DS-2CD4526FWD-IZH

What are pros and cons of each?
Hikvision seem to has better specs but I read somewhere that they are not directly comparable because measured in different conditions and Hikvision is trying to cheat somehow and show better specs than they are.
Hi Zape, welcome to the forum,

The Dahua model is a turret, and the Hikvision a dome.

Numerous members here have mentioned that Domes can be problematic outdoors due to glare issues, as well as over time UV degrading the plastic dome - thus I would pick the turret model.

It's easy to get swamped with information here, so I wanted to share some notes with you

Please check out @giomania 's notes:
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

I have also made which are a summary of a lot of the reading I've been doing here,:
Looking for some advice and direction!

Have fun joining us here.