Please help me troubleshoot BI

bucko

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am running BI on my Win 7 Ultimate 64 PC. Dedicated 2tb HDD, 6 cams, BI CPU is 25-30%. 970nb ram. My PC runs 24/7 ans tasked to reboot every 24hrs.

While BI runs a few cams go in and out of signal. NEVER is there signal loss while I monitor these cams with tinyCam Pro. So I know that actually my cams are solid on my LAN. Only via BI PC GUI do they lose signal.

Next, several times a day, the Blue Iris.exe process crashes and I have to use proexp to restart this process, whereby BI comes back to life.

I have BI start as a service at PC boot. I tried also with not start as a service. No difference in stability. I run the latest version of BI and always update it.

I have wireshark but do not know how to use it. So how can I run down what keeps crashing BI? In the past several years, BI did not do this. Even after a clean install of Win 7, this is now the norm for me.

Please give me some direction as to run down why Blue Iris process keeps failing.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am running BI on my Win 7 Ultimate 64 PC. Dedicated 2tb HDD, 6 cams, BI CPU is 25-30%. 970nb ram. My PC runs 24/7 ans tasked to reboot every 24hrs.

While BI runs a few cams go in and out of signal. NEVER is there signal loss while I monitor these cams with tinyCam Pro. So I know that actually my cams are solid on my LAN. Only via BI PC GUI do they lose signal.

Next, several times a day, the Blue Iris.exe process crashes and I have to use proexp to restart this process, whereby BI comes back to life.

I have BI start as a service at PC boot. I tried also with not start as a service. No difference in stability. I run the latest version of BI and always update it.

I have wireshark but do not know how to use it. So how can I run down what keeps crashing BI? In the past several years, BI did not do this. Even after a clean install of Win 7, this is now the norm for me.

Please give me some direction as to run down why Blue Iris process keeps failing.
what processor are you using...check to see if the memory usage creeps up..there is a known memory leak in some intel hd drivers...see if disabling hardware acceleration stops the crashing..send your event viewer crash logs to blue iris support...
What cameras are you using? are they hardwired? tinycam may only be pulling the substream depending on how you have it set...in blue iris video config, set the receive buffer to 20mb.

bucko

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I don't see any selection to set receive buffer. Is this in cam properties or the program properties? Is it called "recieve buffer"?

My cam are all hardwired (CAT6) IP cams. I set them all at 10fps and my bandwidth is not close to max on a 1GHz network. My CPU is a Xeon R E3 1230 (3.3GHz) Memory usage is steady.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It's in video configuration camera properties

bucko

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm sorry but maybe you have a different version of BI than me, I have v4.5.02 x 64.

Under Camera Properties>Video there is no such setting named receive buffer.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm sorry but maybe you have a different version of BI than me, I have v4.5.02 x 64.

Under Camera Properties>Video there is no such setting named receive buffer.
You need to hit configure

bucko

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
These changes did not help. I looked at my BI log and curious if this looks right? After BI deletes/moves files on the HDD, it loses network signal. This happens everytime the HDD files are managed.
0 2/1/2017 9:07:35 AM Clips Stored: deleting 1 files 5.56M [8640/8640, 216266/403456, 1479592]
0 2/1/2017 9:12:36 AM Clips Stored: deleting 1 files 4.91M [8640/8640, 216261/403456, 1479591]
1 2/1/2017 9:13:10 AM ENIclone Signal: network retry
4 2/1/2017 9:13:13 AM ENIclone Signal: restored

When BI does crash, it is happening right after this process. The network signal never restored.
Does your log look the same after the BI file clean up?

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Boot windows into safe mode, run blue iris, see if it has any issues, if so, it's a driver issue.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

bucko

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I did this and BI is stable in safe mode. 24hrs-no crash.
I rebooted in normal mode and BI continues to run stable. I have no idea why, but it corrected itself!